Southwest reducing Covid cleaning to increase turnaround times.

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• GBAIR72
    Participant

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/southwest-airlines-cleanings-covid-19/index.html

What are everyones views? Is this putting corporate greed before passengers safety?
    Is this a PR disaster, or do people not care if the price is right?

cwoodward
    Participant

It seems utter madness to me but then most of what has happened in the United States in the past few years also seems to be utter madness to me.

11 users thanked author for this post.

GBAIR72
    Participant

[postquote quote=1005908][/postquote]

Yes total madness 😉

Ekond222
    Participant

…Indeed…it’s one step beyond…

3 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1005895]Is this a PR disaster, or do people not care if the price is right?[/quote]

Or just knowing your target audience and adapting to the environment you find yourself in ……
    More and more i wonder if the American approach might inadvertently be the only effective ( Global) solution left.

Like fighting a wild fire, allow it to burn itself out regardless of the consequences

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

When all is said and done we see airlines reverting to type.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Will this happy situation at Jet Blue last beyond October 15 ?

simeoncox
    Participant

Is it not a dictum that business will always seek the most economical path towards profit? If this is so, airlines will test the boundaries of what is acceptable to consumers, I guess. (I do not think as a capitalist would, so you may need to correct me.)

To me, it is further erosion: first routes, then staff, then service, now safety; all under an increase in fares. I can’t give an analysis based on the industry, but from a consumer’s point of view, airlines will look after their business model first, then tailor it to those with the capacity to pay, ensuring revenue. Passengers will only supplement the core reason to put planes back in the air, freight, for the next however long. I suspect the airlines have already hit the reset button, and we’ll be seeing major changes to how we are allowed to fly over the next five years or so. The Golden Age of air travel is long gone.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1005964]s it not a dictum that business will always seek the most economical path towards profit? If this is so, airlines will test the boundaries of what is acceptable to consumers, I guess. (I do not think as a capitalist would, so you may need to correct me.)[/quote]

[quote quote=1005964]and we’ll be seeing major changes to how we are allowed to fly over the next five years or so. The Golden Age of air travel is long gone.[/quote]

I’d have to disagree with you regarding your first point. For years now airlines have eroding their relationship with us , pushing the tolerance envelope until we accept the deterioration in personal space, the decline in catering standards, the corrosion of experiential experiences towards a more transactional approach. Emphasised by ancillary fees thrust upon us at every opportunity .

I’d happily accept it from Ryanair and other LCC’s , because that’s their model….. but

BA, KLM, Air Canada , Lufthansa, Air France and on and on …

Well before we heard the phrase the new norm, airlines and to be fair other service providers have stressed our patience to their money grabbing schemes .
    Covid just gives them an excuse to stress us even further !

5 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Surely this is down to the market.

If enough travellers decide this is a risk too much then the airline will lose business and income. After all no-one is forced to get on a plane and fly. On the other hand many Americans don’t seem concerned about Covid (as reflected in the numbers)….time will tell whether herd immunity will be the better outcome longer term.

As for declines in standards, space etc, well isn’t that the price you pay for ticket prices as low as they have every been in real terms? Personally I don’t have a problem with unbundling (if travelling with a briefcase on a short flight why would I subsidise someone who needs 20kg of baggage and a dedicated seat?) and undeniably the LOCO model has brought international travel to people that would have been priced out 20 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls