South Africa

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

Janbeegee
    Participant

We’re going BA to Port Elizabeth and debating whether to go via Cape Town or Jo’burg.

We’ll not stay in either city so it’s just a question of flight and airport.

At the moment it’s just the 747 v the 380 but are there other things to take into consideration? Easier terminal changes, swifter immigration etc

All expertise gratefully received

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’d go (and in fact do go) via JNB. Plenty of flights, almost one an hour, with SAA or Kulula which is a local kind of Easyjet, except they don’t charge you to check in 1 case. It also operates under the BA name so you may be able to get through check in, but I’m not sure of this as I usually fly with SAA.

From CPT I think Kulula fly only once a day and I don’t think SAA fly more than twice but I’ll stand corrected on that.

As for terminal changes, there’s not a lot in it really. I suppose CPT is marginally easier than JNB but certainly not enough to influence my decision. Immigration may also be a bit faster at CPT, but again if unlucky maybe by just 15 minutes.

So all in all I’d not hesitate to suggest JNB.

MarcusUK
    Participant

On recent trips to CPT, all went pretty smoothly, until i had to connect and travel back via JNB. Planes appear often late there with SAA and so do the local BA franchise, a staggering 9hrs late i saw when i was in CPT, and SAA running 1 hr late).

JNB is very busy always, and immigration and change of aircraft confusing and not well managed. It was very time consuming and stressful compared to the much quieter CPT.

In all aspects, i would avoid JNB.

SimonS1
    Participant

I agree with LP. If travelling to South Africa and connecting on to PE the frequencies via JNB are much better and give more contingency if something goes wrong.

The only downside is the problems either baggage – I would consider shrink wrapping.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Simon makes a good point. Shrink wrap your bags. Personally arriving on an international flight I’ve never had a problem but it does no harm. Otherwise, SAA were (until I left 3 weeks ago) offering free baggage wrap service if flying with them. This I would definitely advise even if you have to pay for it. R. 50 -£3 is well worth it for the peace of mind.

True JNB is busy but no more so than say LHR. As you exit customs turn to the left, up the escalators with your trolley and you have all the check in desks. It’s not far. For a tip (I give r.50) the porter will take your bags right to the counter and load them on the weighing machine for you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls