South Africa visa – any experiences?

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• TiredOldHack2
    Participant

I see that SA is still on the government’s ‘Naughty Step’, and that a visa is required for travel, and that this is hard to get.

We’re supposed to be going there (BA CW) in March for a safari (delayed from this year and I doubt this one will come off either). I was wondering if anyone has any experiences they can share of recent travel to SA. If any.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1011795][/postquote]

I was talking to a colleague yesterday who is a South African working in London. He has been home once, he said the only means was a repatriation flight.

At present borders have still to properly reopen and the arrangements for flying (eg Covid tests) are still a bit vague. A cynic might say a short pause is needed so appropriate snouts can be lined up at the testing trough.

A lot could happen by next March though.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

A news item via Luchtvartnieuws.nl [NL] today reports that “South Africa will present a green list of safe countries before October 1.”

“It is expected that various Euroopean countries will be listed but due to the relatively high number of infections, it is not certain that the Netherlands will also be included.”

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m about to book my return flight there in the next few days – hoping to leave +- October 12th. The borders will open from October 1st but you will need a C-19 negative test result issued 48 hours before leaving. Several airlines are now opening for reservations for flights after October 1st. I’ll report here on my arrival experiences.

2 users thanked author for this post.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=1011841]it is not certain that the Netherlands will also be included.”[/quote]

Oh lovely. We are flying from AMS.

SimonS1
    Participant

Indeed Netherlands, UK and Switzerland all appear on the list of high risk countries.

Coronavirus command council lays down the rules as SA borders reopen

summerfly
    Participant

So Spain is not on the list of countries SA regards as high risk? I am resident in Spain and would like to travel to SA (non business) but assumed it would not be possible for the time being as here we have some of the highest new infection rates in Europe. I’m confused. Is it a mistake?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[postquote quote=1012525][/postquote]

If it’s not on the list, you can travel there, but you will need a negative C-19 test no older than 72 hours before departure.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls