Social Distancing on Aircraft

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 114 total)

• ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=997358][/postquote]

Sorry I am so late in respondong, capetonianm. Thank you for pointing out the Marr Show, which I don’t often watch. I downloaded and watched it all. The guy from The Office of National Statitics was scintillating and I learnt so much from him.

I am afraid Grant Shapps acted as a normal politician and didn’t really answer the question put to him about commuter travel – he was able to deflect away from admitting to Andrew Marr that he doesn’t yet have an answer, by talking about cycling, then saying he was discussing this with the train companies. He is a close friend of my older daughter and son-in-law, so maybe they can get an answer (but don’t “hold your breath” waiting!).

canucklad
    Participant

What the authorities , the industry and to an extent us on here, have simply forgotten as we debate & discuss this horror is the simple fact that the 2 words “social distancing “ and travel are a total oxymoron .

Whether it be for business, leisure or family , we travel , not to isolate ourselves like a Hebridean hermit , but to meet , greet and actively flap our social butterfly wings.

Travel raises our spirits like an 18 year old Malt, and fills our soul like your favourite meal cooked to perfection

Totally incompatible !!

5 users thanked author for this post.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

[quote quote=997396]Travel raises our spirits like an 18 year old Malt[/quote]

Canucklad

Now you are talking! When this is over and I can get up to Edinburgh again, I shall join you in that 18 year old Malt! Do you know the Scotch Malt Whisky Society (in Leith).

Cedric

TupeloKid
    Participant

[postquote quote=997396][/postquote]

And sometimes to get away from people!

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=997398]Canucklad

Now you are talking! When this is over and I can get up to Edinburgh again, I shall join you in that 18 year old Malt! Do you know the Scotch Malt Whisky Society (in Leith).

Cedric[/quote]

Sounds like a grand idea Cedric, I’m aware of the society , a couple of pub pals are members. Haven’y yet had the pleasure of visiting, although it was a considered venue for my Dad’s wake last year .
    My close drinking circle alas try and avoid travelling down to Trainspotting land and as such rarely venture beyond the Playhouse. Ironic since some of those same best friends frequent Easter Road of a Saturday afternoon.

Hopefully the sound of Slange Var will ring loud in all of our ears sooner rather than later

capetonianm
    Participant

A little off topic but this may appeal to those of you who, like myself, are lovers of fine single malts. About 10 years ago I was in Edinburgh and met a local pal in a bar called The Standing Order, a great name for a pub (I thought ‘The Colour Bar’ would be a good name for a pub but was told that might be pushing things a bit in terms of PCness.) Sadly it’s now a Wetherspoons,

We met after work and he asked me if I’d like a whisky.
    “No thanks,” I said : “it’s really not something I enjoy.”
    “That’ll be because you’ve never had a decent whisky” he said, in his gentle Scottish accent, ordering me an Ardbeg 17 year old.

I was hooked, and have since possibly spent the equivalent of the GNP of a small country, on fine whisky. I have a soft spot for the lovely peaty iodine tang of the Islays. I saw a bottle of 17 y/o Ardbeg on sale a few years ago in Princes Street for £120, bought one bottle but hesitated at buying more. About 2 years later I saw the price was around the £500 mark, and kicked myself. Hard.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

[quote quote=997432]I have a soft spot for the lovely peaty iodine tang of the Islays[/quote]

Then you must certainly fly over to join Canucklad and me when we are able to gather! Islay whiskies my favourite too …

I sense though if we are to continue discussing whisky and our favourite drams we ought to start a new thread before we fill this one with our reminiscences.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

[quote quote=997439]if we are to continue discussing whisky and our favourite drams we ought to start a new thread[/quote]

Now done – look for the topic “A whisky thread”. And do join me there to reminisce on happier times. Slainte!

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=997446][/postquote]

What a relief for those of us who do not drink. I was going to suggest that you two “get a room”.

capetonianm
    Participant

Superb idea. I’m copying my posting onto that new thread and reporting my posting here to ask a moderator to delete it. Thank you.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Day trips from the USA for business owners… to help keep social distancing, in the passenger cabin at least..

https://www.flightglobal.com/business-aviation/transatlantic-traffic-keeps-biggin-hills-head-above-water/138210.article

AMcWhirter
    Participant

COVID-19 will have been a blessing for private aviation.

barnacles
    Participant

Canucklad illustrates the dilemma well and with nice humour. At the end of the day, it may just come down to how much ‘risk’ we, as individuals, are prepared to accept when we travel, for ourselves and our family and colleagues etc. Travel through airports and on aircraft will certainly carry an ongoing risk whatever precaution we and the carriers take, as does supermarket shopping currently – and remember how often we used to come off a ‘normal pre-Covid’ flight and then have mild sniffles, flu symptoms etc for a day or so. It is a very knotty problem.

Arny
    Participant

Yes. Just wear a mask.

Bucknall
    Participant

Before anyone judges people who dare to cough….I have had a persistant cough for more years than I care to remember. It hs been thoroughly investigated and no cause can be found – just one of those things, and trust me no-one can find it more irritating than myself. However I do find I get some very doubtful looks if I dare to cough in public now. Sorry folks, but it is something I just can’t help. I am not at all concerned about flying as and when we can do so…more about the reactions from other people who will no doubt judge without knowing the facts!

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 114 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls