Social Distancing on Aircraft

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 114 total)

• n166
    Participant

i would mostly agree but places in Europe may not be hit as hard in terms of the tourist industry, as more locals are likely to holiday in their own countries, and therefore tourist hotspots in these countries will still get some customers.
    other island destinations are different as the generally poorer locals obviously won’t be flocking to the 5* resorts on the beach

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=997326][/postquote]

That is true – to a certain extent, of course.

Shortly after I posted my earlier piece, on my daily walk I bumped into an acquaintance. We got talking about this (at 2 metres apart!) and she said that she and her husband were very much missing their apartment on the Costa del Sol, to which they normally go 4 or 5 times a year.

She said the whole area was apartments, owned 90% By British, German and Scandinavian tourists. The shops, restaurants and other services were totally reliant on this trade and agreed that the local authorities would be pressing on the government to make life as normal as possible ASAP. She said that Southern Spain would be decimated economically without the overseas tourists.

n166
    Participant

It’s such a shame and it’ll be a similar story in many other places unfortunately. not sure how far they will get with pressing the government to make life as normal as possible ASAP. there are many other things they’ll need to take into account

glad you kept your 2 metre distance!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

BBC’s current view on future overseas travel

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-52450038

Johnnyg
    Participant

QUESTION

If, for example BA had a flight on a A320 90% of seats booked before restrictions applied how would they get round the theoretical 66% capacity, (ie middle seats empty)

Would they change to a larger aircraft, bump passengers to another flight or cancel tickets.

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=997348][/postquote]

Martyn – an interesting first picture in the BBC article. The model is wearing a mask which will become completely useless – indeed, maybe even dangerous, after an hour. This was the first letter in the Times yesterday:

MASKING AN ITCH
    Sir, The value of a facemask lies in its ability, if used correctly, to reduce the transmission of virus particles from the wearer to others. Masks, particularly of the homemade cloth variety, quickly become saturated with exhaled breath and with virus. The temptation to fiddle with the contaminated mask has to be resisted, otherwise the whole exercise is worthless. Observation of customers queuing at my local supermarket indicates that few are able to conform to this self-discipline, even if the mask is worn correctly, and not at half-mast on the chin. The requirement not to touch the mask or face is something with which operating theatre personnel are familiar, and it eventually becomes second-nature. I learnt the hard way when I was ejected from theatre by my boss for absent-mindedly scratching my nose with my sterile gloved finger.
    Stephen Whitehead, FRCS
    Ret’d surgeon, Hastings

How on Earth anyone could go on a flight (of more than an hour) without touching their face beats me.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

[quote quote=997349]how would they get round the theoretical 66% capacity,[/quote]

I think it is quite possible that many of those who have booked tickets will simply choose not to fly. The whole palaver sounds really most unattractive!

ASK1945
    Participant

Cedric

easyJet may not agree with you. One minute before you posted I received the following marketing email from them:

DISCOVER TURKEY

Miles of dazzling coastline, serene coves, forest-clad peninsulas, and little fishing villages plus delicious food. Turkey has it all. Explore Dalaman or Antalya’s resorts with some amazing deals available now. Holidays at these prices are not to be missed! Or see where else we could take you. Search all our holidays on sale for winter, spring, next summer through to October 2021.

Presumably their sales department team believe that people will lose their inhibitions within a year.

esselle
    Participant

And how do you sip the inflight Dom through a mask?

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

[quote quote=997352]Presumably their sales department team believe that people will lose their inhibitions within a year.[/quote]

Believe, or desperately hope?

I’m sure some people will travel as soon as it is allowed,and perhaps more will be prepared to by the end of 2020. I’m personally not counting on flying before 2021.

ASK1945
    Participant

I appreciate that this topic is headed “Social Distancing on Aircraft

But, of course, much business travel takes place on Trains (including tubes in London, Liverpool and Glasgow, trams and buses. In rush hour, in most cities in the UK, all these modes of getting to and from work are grossly overcrowded during rush hour.

Now, wearing a mask on these modes of transport may confer some degree of protection – for both the wearer and the people around them – for the short time that many spend commuting; but how will other measures, such as Social Distancing, work? I assume that some people will carry on working from home, but the majority won’t. How will the authorities control this without continued economic damage to the country?

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=997353][/postquote]

Exactly.

Cedric: are you someone who would fly to Turkey by easyJet, for a holiday, anyway? They are targeting their millions of usual clients.

This is a Business Traveller forum – and my guess the contributors are not typical of the masses.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Touché! No, my standard carrier is not Easyjet and my standard destination not Turkey.

The point about other travel – whether the daily commute or whatever – is entirely valid and we did debate this earlier in the thread. Maintaining social distancing until there is a vaccine (18 months? Never?) is not financially sustainable and so I’d normally say it won’t happen. But I genuinely don’t know how this will play out and what level of risk people will eventually consider acceptable.

capetonianm
    Participant

I am sure I am not typical of the masses, but in the unlikely event that I were to go to Turkey, I would almost certainly fly easyJet, particularly as the alternatives for direct flights would probably be BA, TK, or one of the other LCCs.

This whole thing of ‘distancing’ on transport has not been thought through and there are so many flaws in the arguments both for and against that it is almost a pointless discussion. Did anyone see Andrew Marr’s discussion this morning with Grant Shapps in which this was discussed? He also spoke to the always ebullient Michael Palin, a traveller ‘par excellence’.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

My main business hubs are Thailand, Hong Kong and Vietnam – and I would have no hesitation in visiting Thailand and Vietnam when the borders reopen. HKG would need some further thought. Vietnam appears to have no COV19 deaths and Thailand’s total deaths, appears to be way less then the UK’s current daily rate (based of course on published figures) – which I know may need further analysis.

My main concern though is getting there (and back) and the health protocols being implemented by different countries and organisations. Any form of multi night quarantine on arrival, wouldn’t work for me, neither would an open border policy with no screening, work either. My hope is that countries will create standardised Health screening/passports/checking/restrictions etc – similar to security checks – to provide a achievable and a comprehensive solution. I imagine though this will take time to create and implement.

Social distancing is a real big challenge and in practical terms highly unlikely to be achieved with any great effect. One press release from Wizz (apologies I cant locate it) stated they will try to keep the middle seat free, where possible. Ryan has stated he wont fly with the middle seat free.

My only current leisure destination is to visit friends in Bergamo and Milan but I don’t think that will be practical for some considerable time.

My choice will be to fly business of first, purely on the basis of additional space, but all will depend on pricing when the world reopens. I also see an increase in the use of PJs and VIP terminals, not necessarily to save time, but to create a more sterile space. PJ pricing has become very competitive, especially with so many aircraft being parked up.

Clearly, the major factor about future travel will be when either a treatment or a vaccine becomes available, whenever that may be………

For now though, my only travel is my daily run – have to say, i have never felt so relaxed, although I am sad for the reasons behind it.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 114 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls