So is it bye bye Australia for BA?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

• K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1007655][/postquote]

I absolutely agree with you. I live in Singapore (used to and will again from end of year) and I used the BA service on a number of occasions sometimes just to keep my status on OW as opposed to KF on SQ. The service and plane is shoddy compared to competitors and the old 777 that they use just doesn’t cut it against the competition. I used to regularly fly from London through Singapore to Sydney in days gone by but now the points available on QR or CX outweigh BA and therefore I wouldnt use them from Europe. Back to Singapore, the 380 or 350 that SQ use on the route is far better and with 3-4 flights a day you can choose your time of landing .. I also agree that BA will not be restarting the service again anytime soon!

2 users thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

[quote quote=1007655]The service was reduced from 747’s to noisy clapped-out 777-200’s.[/quote]

Lostantipod, just a correction. BA use 777-300s on the LHR-SIN-SYD route and these certainly offer a better experience than their -200s.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tomasz
    Participant

It is interesting how the companion voucher will work in this situation. Normally to book a redemption flight using the voucher it has to be BA flight, not any other carrier. If BA won’t fly to SYD in the near future, does it mean the voucher is useless?

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=1007056][/postquote]

I tried to use a Companion Voucher where the balance of the journey (from Capetown to Durban and then Durban Jo’burg) was on a different airline – Comair, badged as BA – and the voucher was declined for the Comair flights.

I had to pay separately for the Comair flights – the voucher was only applicable for the UK-SA flights.

anyonebutba
    Participant

[postquote quote=1007056][/postquote]

yes the voucher is permitted for BA metal only on BA operated flights, so if they scrap Sydney, no more voucher use to Australia

cwoodward
    Participant

[postquote quote=1007672][/postquote]

The 300’s aren’t that young ether being an average of 8.2 years and the oldest 11 years. The 300’s are mostly leased aircraft.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1007672][/postquote]

All the original 777-200 have been retired now.

RoyJones
    Participant

[quote quote=1007655]from 747’s to noisy clapped-out 777-200’s[/quote]

The 747s are much older than the 777-200s and with 4 engines are noisier than the 777-200. Most certainly BA’s 777s are younger than many other airlines 777s.

Frankly most first world airlines maintain their aircraft to a high standard whether they are 1 or 20 years old. Having eliminated the airlines with questionable maintenance practices I look for the hard and soft offerings of the airline i.e comfortable seat and good service. I maybe weird but I get a better night’s sleep in BA’s ying-yang Club seats than in their first class. I hate(d) the herringbone layout of some airlines’ business class, my feet always seemed to be a magnet for passing passengers!

anyonebutba
    Participant

[postquote quote=1008055][/postquote]

Just as well BA are not flying that far right now, even to SIN its a cold sandwich meal service, with maybe a slice of pizza or a wrap IF your lucky 🙁 can you imagine Sydney with no real hot meal for 23 hours, no thanks many other airlines offering near normal service, BA and the penny pinching is another reason why BA is to be avoided at all costs

SimonS1
    Participant

Funny how many airlines can manage a hot meal, even in economy. But on BA penny pinching comes first.

5 users thanked author for this post.

anyonebutba
    Participant

[postquote quote=1008081][/postquote]

absolutely agree, BA are pushing too far on the way down to the bottom!!

Stowage222
    Participant

Lostantipod, you make an interesting point about future BA crewing of any future flights to SYD particularly and I assume to BA destinations in general. I’m not quite sure what the current dispute is about as I would imagine that most, if not all, Worldwide and Euro-fleet cabin crew have left the company under VR. This is what BA had wanted (read Walsh) for the last 10 years. Their new ‘One Team’ fleet for Cabin Crew was just too far removed from existing agreements to be palatable to the majority of those senior cabin staff. If the BA spin machine is to be believed then those on Mixed Fleet are earning slightly more under the new T&C’s. The union threatening strike action isn’t going to get the desired result I’m afraid mainly for the reasons above.

If anyone has more insight on this issue it might be interesting to share, via a new thread if necessary, with the forum.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1008059][/postquote]

Looking at their website, it appears there is hot food in long-haul J and F

cwoodward
    Participant

To my understanding BA basically gave up any serious attempt to service the antipodes years ago.

The story goes that it was mainly because BA could not persuade Cathay a OneWorld partner to offer a first class service from HKG to SYD (in order that they could continue to sell first class to AU) that BA offered a token service to AU routed via Singapore rather than the shorter route via HKG.

This as retaliation for Cathay’s non cooperation is how the story goes. It has a ring of truth as of course historically there has been no love lost between them dating back to the time when for many years BA successfully lobbied the UK government to prevent Cathay flying from Hong Kong to the UK. Swire finally took the UK government to the London High Court and the UK government were forced to roll over and grant rights to Cathay. (that upstart colonial airline) Even then BA colluded with the the then government controlled airports authority to keep Cathay out of LHR. They were forced to fly to Gatwick and as I am told it was only the threat of further legal action that rights to LHR were finally granted.

Cathay now offer (in normal times) 8 or 9 services day out of the UK to Australia in about 24 hours with direct connection in Hong Kong with as many as 16 flights a day HKG to AU and a couple to New Zealand. Singapore airlines offers something similar Ibelieve and BA it seems are going to offer nothing.

The upstart colonials it seems perhaps had the better strategy!

3 users thanked author for this post.

anyonebutba
    Participant

having flown BA J long haul I can confirm there are no hot meals. only hot items are pizza slices or a hot wrap, but no hot meals as before. the website says this also.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls