Snow news and Good news

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• Anonymous

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I know we all have stories and worries, about the current weather conditions. Please can this thread be used by travellers able to report the current conditions at airports and roads, as an assistance to others. The customers service issues and Britain shuts early for Xmas can be dealt with on the other posts.

I know that there are still hotels available at Gatwick. The M25 and M23 are still trecherous, whats the situation on the Thames link and Gatwick/Express.

Cancelations and changes – any updates.

Heathrow appears to be partially open.

I know people who came home from Gatwick yesterday thinking that their Orlando (VS) flight was cancelled, it was delayed and it apparently went 6 hours late.

I am hoping that we can all pull together the knowledge, insight and contacts, to help travellers get home or get away this week.

Thanks for your contributions.

(This has to be a no moan thread – however hard that may be – purely factual!)

…..and happy holidays.

Potakas
    Participant

Edi is currently closed, next update from BAA at 14.30

I will try to use Hethrow express later today and I will update.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

I can only offer support from afar, clearly the snow fall was unusual yesterday – hope it gets cleared up ASAP for everyone over there.

For anyone reading and coming to Malta in the next few days, the wx down this end is fine, so no worries for you, if your flight is able to leave the UK.

Deleted User
    Participant

If anyone can let me know where TG910 from BKK is please can they post a reply. BAA website says scheduled to land this morning, i know it left BKK and presumably has been diverted. Any help would be appreicated. Thanks.

Potakas
    Participant

Flight cancelled so I will not go to LHR.

CMB, I searched but I couldn’t find anything valuable.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I went over to T5 as I had some queries for 3 sectors Monday and 2 on Wednesday and couldnt get through on the phones.

WARNINGS OF THE BIGGEST PROBLEMS:

When I left home it was -0.5c, by the time I got to T5 it was -6c. Please drive carefully, the biggest danger are the idiots driving way too fast on the M25 and drivers not realising the dangers of icey roads.

T5 had a very serene atmosphere, could have done with some festive/seasonal cheer. Plenty of BA staff on hand, I had to Q for about an hour to be seen (i had no issue with that under the circumstances). However, quite clearly BA staff could not cope as there was very little common sense being given to relatively minor issues.

Other than that, parking was easy and a few flights were going.

One nice touch was a Captain (whether on purpose or not) standing around speaking to pasengers and answering questions, nice touch.

I will be in T5 for most of tomorrow, so I will provide updates when ever I can.

JordanD
    Participant

Channel 4 News reporting that BA has cancelled all Shorthaul ex-LHR from 1200GMT.

Met Office SE Eng have (30 minutes ago) released a “FLASH Warning of Heavy Snow for London & South East England valid from 1250 Mon 20 Dec to 2100 Mon 20 Dec”.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

now snowing at Heathrow.

Heathrow has advised that T1 and T3 are closed to new passengers, as both are currently “extremely congested”:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/weather-update-heathrow-closes-t1-and-t3-to-new

This will be reviewed at 1600.

Potakas
    Participant

Snow expected at 5 pm at LCY, heathrow express is for free from heathrow to Pad.

No tea or coffee on board the LCY flights because the water supplies are frozen. But Don’t mind 😉

JordanD
    Participant

From Met Office SE England: “FLASH Warning of Heavy Snow for London & South East England valid from 1800 Mon 20 Dec to 0300 Tue 21 Dec”

Potakas
    Participant

Twitt from LHR:

”We’re right now providing free hot food & drink in terminals, vouchers for airport shops & restaurants, and wi-fi is now free.”

Twitt from LGW:

”Heavy snow at Gatwick & more forecast, no flights will now leave until 6am Tue 21 Dec, please check with your airline for flight updates”

HypnosisClinic
    Participant

Hello, could anybody please tell me if it is snowing right now at Heathrow? I’m trying to keep tabs as supposed to fly to Mumbai in a few days.

Also, I Just found this article; I had no idea Heathrow is no longer British owned:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/8215723/UK-snow-national-disgrace-Heathrow-owners-accused-of-under-investing-in-clearing-equipment.html#disqus_thread

MartynSinclair
    Participant

At terminal 5, B gates, I can confirm that its not snowing.

11.16, Dec 21.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls