Smoke filled cabin

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Johnnyg
    Participant

Thankfully having never been in this situation, although been in a few scary turbulent one.

Supposing that there was an issue disembarking, in this case under what circumstances would / should the oxygen masks deploy?

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/smoke-fills-cabin-in-passenger-jet-emergency-at-california-airport/ar-AAsthdd?li=AA59G2&ocid=spartanntp

FDOS_UK
    Participant

JohhnyG

Having been in a similar position, but airborne, I can tell you it is not a happy experience.

I don’t believe the onboard O2 is designed to be used under such circumstances and doubt it would be deployed.

May be an airline crew member will provide the facts.

mkcol74
    Participant

From my experience as crew (now no more) the crew have a smoke hood similar to this at each of their stations to be donned in serious smoke-filled cabin situations. From the one picture I saw on that link of the above event it certainly wasn’t bad enough to warrant its use. This is the same on inter-city trains in the UK.

O2 would not be used because often with smoke comes fire, and we wouldn’t want to be making the fire triangle more feasible.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

My biggest fear. Even when they burn a meal I start to get nervous!

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

According to Easyjet the issues are “believed to be linked to atmospheric circumstances due to storm Ophelia”.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/10/16/flights-are-making-emergency-landings-after-smelling-smoke-due-to-storm-ophelia-7003956/

Cleancabinair
    Participant

well fortunately this seems to be nothing to do with contaminated cabin air – aerotoxic.org and more to do with with woodsmoke from Portugal being picked up by Hurricane Ophelia ….
    Ironic that Easyjet is the airline that has chosen to retro-fit its aircraft with air-filters to remove hydro-carbons and other contaminants from the cabin air ….!!
    The aviation industry is gradually realising it has to acknowledge that there is a problem with the cabin air systems(except on Boeing 787’s) and need to change !

Cleancabinair
    Participant

If you believe that you have been exposed to contaminated cabin air I suggest that you check this website out …Aerotoxic.org

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls