Sleeping prone on the sofa: Concorde Room

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

• TheRealBabushka
    Participant

Keen to hear people’s view.

Is sleeping prone on the sofa in the Concorde Room (like you would in the privacy of your own living room) appropriate or simply low-class and tacky?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=901101]Keen to hear people’s view.

Is sleeping prone on the sofa in the Concorde Room (like you would in the privacy of your own living room) appropriate or simply low-class and tacky?[/quote]

It pales by comparison with the phenomena the good citizens of Flyertalk are currently debating

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1937661-ba-cabin-crew-flatulence.html

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

Equally disconcerting…

stevescoots
    Participant

i find it as discourteous as people blocking seats with bags in lounges, gate areas etc

3 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I would consider it inappropriate, but just imagine that the person has maybe been flying for 24 hours and possibly hadn’t slept before boarding, is not feeling well, in addition to being very tired, and has got to the stage of no longer caring and decided to have forty winks stretched out. Haven’t most of us been there at some point?

Unless he’s taking up seating space that other people need, I would not let it upset me.

What to me is far more inappropriate is seeing people scooping up food, canapes, biscuits, fruit and so on and shovelling it into a bag. I even saw someone filling up a small bottle with whisky and putting it into his bag.

5 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=901101]Keen to hear people’s view. Is sleeping prone on the sofa in the Concorde Room (like you would in the privacy of your own living room) appropriate or simply low-class and tacky?[/quote]

I strongly believe it is inappropriate (I wouldn’t call it “low-class and tacky” though) – whether they’re taking up space other people need or not.

capetonianm said “imagine that the person has maybe been flying for 24 hours and possibly hadn’t slept before boarding, is not feeling well, in addition to being very tired … Haven’t most of us been there at some point?” Sorry that I disagree with you this time: I have been there many times, but I would never lie prone on a sofa in a lounge – a lounge is not my hotel room or living room.

capetonianm, you also described as inappropriate people “scooping up food, canapes, biscuits, fruit and so on and shovelling it into a bag” – there, I agree with you. I was once in the BA Galleries lounge at Heathrow T5 and was utterly amazed to see a guy, in full view of everyone, filling up his rucsac with can after can of drinks and then exiting the lounge – words fail me.

1 user thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I wouldn’t call it low class or tacky as I’ve seen people of all classes do this in many locations around the world. What does distress me is where you have a typical arrangement of Sofa and 2 armchairs and a table. Pax full out on safa and both armchairs occupied by bag, tablets etc in a crowded lounge with little other space.

The inconsideration of some of my fellow travellers never ceases to amaze me!

4 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I couldn’t stop laughing about that thread.

[quote quote=901122]https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1937661-ba-cabin-crew-flatulence.html[/quote]

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.flyertalk.com-vbulletin/640×1136/img_4184_f140d3e4810ecc0c90ac94b10849ad3f05563e28.png

The above reply is brilliant though. There is hope indeed for us!

1 user thanked author for this post.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Maybe we should all do it more often ?

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

One of my mother´s favourite films was “Gone With The Wind”. Now I know why!!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Are you telling me that the Concorde Room doesn’t even have a relaxation area with loungers or daybeds?? They need to take a look at one of the CX F lounges in HK if they want to know how to treat premium passengers properly!

Mind you, most people wouldn’t share a sofa with a stranger so whether he was lying on it or sitting on it he is effectively blocking other people from using it anyway. Having said that, it’s one of my pet peeves. Why do so many solo travellers make a beeline for a sofa or a group of four chairs that could be used by colleagues travelling together or by a family? I have lost count of the number of times we have had our family sit apart from each other in lounges because we simply can’t get four seats together. Grrrrr.

On the subject of looters, a year or so ago I was in the AA Arrivals Lounge in LHR and saw a woman loot each and every mini-bottle of champagne from the fridges and put them in her handbag. As if that wasn’t bad enough she didn’t even bother to shut the fridge doors! So I made some rather sarcastic comment about how if she was going to steal things she could at least have the decency to shut the doors so that what she left behind would remain cold. To my momentary embarrassment, she swung around (she had her back to me before) and I realised she used to work for me!! Ah well. I never liked her anyway!

Unsurprisingly AA no longer keep champagne in the fridges, you have to ask for it instead, so that is just another little disservice caused by greedy and selfish passengers (and in this case I know exactly who it was!).

BPP
    Participant

The thieving (and it is thieving!) of booze and food and other unsatisfactory behaviour is probbably the result of allowing ‘Paid for’ access into Business Class Lounges.
    Most passengers with Business Class tickets should have no need to pilfer or behave anti-socially.

BPP

capetonianm
    Participant

BPP I think it’s wrong to blame ‘paid access’ visitors.

Not ‘needing to pilfer’ is not related to not doing so. Some people feel ‘entitled’ to steal because they have paid for a premium class ticket and are going to maximise the value, and others whose tickets are paid for by their employers may look for an opportunity to get something they could not otherwise afford.

TonyR
    Participant

So what do people suggest if you are in the lounge with a long stop-over, badly delayed flight, a serious case of post-redeye fatigue etc? Should they decamp to the public concourse where sleeping across seats is quite common? I might be less forgiving if they were stretched out reading a book in a busy lounge but if they are power-napping, surely we’ve all been there often enough ourselves in our busy travels to cut them some slack (and they have after all paid for a lie-flat bed with their ticket).

TonyR
    Participant

I was amazed to read an article recently about the quandry the airlines and cabin crew are in with challenging (and risking losing) premium paying passenger who pack their airline bedding into their bags before deplaning. Apparently BA’s White and Company bedding is a very popular steal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls