Sleep disruption from frequent travel

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• K1ngston
    Participant

Sally what an excellent thread. i am currently in the South Pacific having flown from my base in the Caribbean through London, resulting in about 11 different time zones!

Have been here a week and have not had a decent night sleep, often falling asleep at 8pm and then awake at 3am without being able to break the mould! Last night it being Friday night out for a few beverages with the team here, bed at midnight I thought I have cracked it, only to be awake at 3.30am without being able to go back to sleep!

This issue has got progressively worse as I have got older my 50th year long gone!

I have tried all the remedies, wives tales etc, everyone told me to take melatonin it never worked for me.

I bought over the counter in the US a sleeping aid called Unisom, works perfectly for me, I sleep about 5-6 hours which for me is a great nights sleep and even then its a culmination of different hotel rooms, pillows, temperature etc that effect me when i get to my destination

Wait I hear you shout, give it up and become a desk jockey and it’ll all be fine… I did that 3 years ago I lasted 2 months I hated it so its this time zone today tomorrow forward another 2 hours, in 5 days time back 4 hours and just when I get used to the zone I am in its time to return to suffer for the next fortnight…….

And they said it was a glamorous life

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Whether it’s due to this thread or not – who knows!!

… but why is the sore throat, cough and blocked nose, worse during the night, than during the day… I virtually have to sleep with a sore throat ‘thingy’ in my mouth…

After reading the contents here, my symptoms all make sense (sadly)…. last time I drink on an aeroplane!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Great topic Sally and I’m also looking forward to the finished article.

I’m one of those fortunates who can sleep anywhere, anytime but always subject to a few rules.

I’ll always eat dinner in the lounge or airport restaurant and on board will take just a tea, a small piece of cheese, small glass of port and a chocolate. Within an hour of take off I’m washed and ready to sleep. Sleep comes quickly but to help I try to work out at which point the retuning aircraft will cross over the outbound one. I rarely succeed and am asleep and out for 6 hours or more. The FA’s often ask me what sleeping pills I use if there’s been turbulence and I’ve just slept through it – I don’t use anything is my truthful answer.

If a day flight I’ll eat on board but never overindulging, I’ll read, usually from my phone or iPad, sometimes, but not often, watch a movie, and just snooze on and off during the flight.

I can’t stand sleeping in air conditioned rooms. I’ll use it during the day and evening but at night off it goes and wherever possible I’ll always open a window, no matter how hot or cold it is outside. I’m convinced sleeping in air conditioned rooms is what contributes to those small colds and sniffles I always used to get when travelling but not any more. It’s also curtains open for sleeping. I’m an early riser anyway so the morning light is something I welcome.

One big tip, is pillow height and getting it right before going to bed. I, like many here, like a particular height and firmness for my pillow. It’s impossible to define but I know when it’s right or wrong. If they are thin I may need three with the bottom one folded over to give that needed height and support in the middle, but importantly, I get this right well before I go to bed or immediately on arrival if late. Then I can call housekeeping while still up and awake rather than being in bed cursing as I hunt for that extra pillow!

Going West I rarely accept dinner invites, but have breakfast or lunch meetings instead. That way I’m in bed by 8 pm and of course awake come 3 or 4 in the morning. Then I read the papers, early breakfast, phone calls back home etc. In this way I keep reasonably close to European time so on boarding to go back I’m asleep immediately and wake refreshed on arrival.

SallyBrownHJ
    Participant

Thanks to everyone who has posted here so far. I have to say I am shocked at the level of sleep disruption that many are dealing with. I guess frequent travellers are a self-selecting group – if you can’t hack it, you get out.
    A few themes seem to be emerging – alcohol helps you get to sleep but stops you sleeping properly, you need time to wind-down after a flight and air-con is the enemy of good sleep, darkness is important, and the right pillow – to name a few.
    It’s all very useful stuff for the story.
    Wishing you all a good night’s sleep tonight!
    Sally

Chutzpahflyer
    Participant

Hoping this is not a closed discussion…
    Agree that enemies to sleep in hotels are light, aircon (both because of the noise and dryness) and pillows. When I can, I take my own pillow – that way I’m sure of having the right pillow, and familiarity goes a long way to helping me sleep! (But I live in fear of leaving it behind!)

RaveAroundTheWorld
    Participant

I m flying next month ZRH-SIN-AKL.

It s the day flight ex ZRH arriving early morning in SIN. Then a short layover and off to NZ arriving 22.45 in AKL.

My first time in the South Pacific….how should I plan to sleep on the way over? And what do I do when I arrive at late at night in AKL? Should I sleep or just stay awake until my meeting the next day and go to bed that night?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

MrMichael
    Participant

Ravearoundtheworld. My advice is try to sleep on the to SIN sector, drink lots of red bull on the SIN – AKL sector and go to bed with a hot choc on arrival in NZ. Not sure what airline your using, but my last flight on Singapore Airlines they did not stock red bull (or any equivalent). Have to take your own or rely on plenty of espresso’s No alcohol, well maybe a small glass of wine with meals.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m assuming from your early morning arrival you’re flying SQ? Your body clock will be saying its midnight but it’s inevitable you’ll sleep on the flight as they will close the blinds about 3-4 hours into the flight. A good movie or book will probably send you into the land of nod. They’ll wake you again 2 hours before landing for breakfast and then you’ll have your stopover. I’d imagine you’ll be sleepy soon after take off so go with the flow and if you’re tired just snooze.

By the time you arrive, clear immigration and get to your hotel, it’ll likely be past midnight so I’d have a nice hot shower, a hot chocolate and go to bed. Hopefully after all your travels you’ll be tired enough to sleep.

Whatever you do your body clock will be messed up but I would not make things worse by taking lots of caffeine. Just sleep when you can and your body will gradually adjust after 2-3 days.

Good luck and have a good trip.

canucklad
    Participant

HI Ravearoundtheworld , you don’t say if you’re flying by yourself or with a companion. I only mention it because their behaviour will influece what happens when you arrive in NZ….

I can’t give you advice ,as I don’t know your personal lifestyle….

Personally ,I’d have a late night before departing Zurich, have lunch and watch a movie,enjoying a large hot toddy…..Sleep and have a light breakfast.

Now, not sure how long your layover is, but this is where Changi comes into its own…..If you have time go for a swim in the pool…..That should confuse your brain into thinking it’s whatever time you want it to be….

Have a wee catnap after you take off ,awaken for your meal and resist sleep till you get to Auckland. …I’d also make a pest of myself by standing and socializing in the galley area for a couple of hours.

RaveAroundTheWorld
    Participant

Thanks folks – good input. Indeed flying SQ (by myself) and will try to sleep on the way over to SIN and then resist as much as possible on the way to AKL.

Once I arrive in NZ, catch a few hours of sleep so at least I am in the rhythm of waking up and going to work.

RaveAroundTheWorld
    Participant

Just an update, the routing ZRH-AKL via SIN worked like a charm. I arrrived around midnight in AKL and managed to sleep about 5 hours. Next day I was tired as hell in the afternoon but survived on espresso. No other problems in the 2 weeks in NZ /Oz. Flight back MEL to FRA via SIN on SQ was great and worked a full day upon arriving early am.

My colleagues – who all few EK – were all complaining about major jetlag/sleep problems…..

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls