Skylon spacecraft

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

They are testing the Engines for Skylon spacecraft for ture one landing and take off space plane, They looking for money hoping BAE buys in to this to keep it British and dont sell ut tech like it ended up in the Ariane.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17874276

A2 Mach 5 Civil Transport the looks good,

“…to reduce long-distance flights, e.g. From Brussels to Sydney, to less than 2 to 4 hours. Achieving this goal intrinsically requires a new flight regime for commercial transport with Mach numbers ranging from 4 to 8.”

http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/lapcat.html

RichHI1
    Participant

Great this is in discussion again. I remember seeing proposal in 80’s and now it is possible not just feasible. It would be so British to have world leading technology but no UK airport allowed to deploy it due to electoral considerations and SYD to LON 2 hours, UK Border Force clearance 3 hours. UKAPD sky rocketed as another way for the Treasury to pick pockets.

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

Rich it is the same Tech that BAe at the time where playing with the team left to form there own company when BAe had cut backs.

I think if this was to work it be a game changer for Airlines.

RichHI1
    Participant

I hope so. Given the politics over LHR at present and the politics created over Concorde I would hope that it is put together in a holistic manner so that airlines, countries and airports sign up and do not play political football with it. Once airports allow it in then airlines without it for long haul will have no option. I guess key to all this is the economics.

I find it interesting that they chose the name Skylon which was the symbol of the Festival of Britain.

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

Rich they called it that because it ment to look like it, but I am not sure.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls