Skip last leg

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

ExecPlatAA
    Participant

I scored a very attractive fare from YVR-BOM r/t in business (almost 40% lower than that from SFO). As luck would have it the return is from BOM-ZRH-SFO (on SWISS) and then SFO-YVR on UA. My assumption was that as US is first port of entry, I would need to remove luggage in SF anyway and so I could skip the last leg. I am getting conflicting reports on this – looks like they will check luggage all the way to YVR and that woudl mean I will need to take that leg and return back to SF. Any advise on this? Can I ask the agent in BOM to tag luggage upto SF, esp as I have a 6 hr layover n SF?

Seeking advise forum members! Thanks

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

ExecPlatAA , there are plenty of previous discussions in the forum on this, and the general take is do not do it, not because of the baggage issue because you are willingly breaking the terms and conditions which you agreed to and the airline can come after you for a higher fare based on termination SFO as that would be a multicity fare.

SimonS1
    Participant

I don’t agree that is the “general take”. In fact in all the threads on this I don’t recall a single poster either on here or FT coming up with any evidence of someone who has been re-priced.

Also most of the threads on here are about ex-EU on BA – you might get some useful feedback if posted in the UA forum on FT. For example

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1591525-best-way-drop-final-segment.html#post23149372

I would have thought the combination of airlines would make it less likely they will catch up with you.

conshaldow
    Participant

I’d say you would be pretty safe given the circumstances (arriving into US, needing to collect baggage and different airlines).

I have booked a few more of my savvy clients in similar fashion and can say the airlines have never come back to myself looking for additional monies. Saying that, I do always stress that it is the traveller who will be liable if the airline does charge additional monies.

I always have a look for cheaper options for myself ex/ other countires when going on vacation as I don’t mind taking the risk.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

with regards to the specific question about luggage being checked through… in the past when I have requested luggage is not checked through – IRREPSECTIVE of whether I use all the ticket segments… the airlines have always have done as I have requested.. You just have to insist and give a reason why you don’t want it checked through..

ExecPlatAA
    Participant

Thank you Gin&Tonic, SimonS1, Conshaldow and MartynSinclair . Much appreciated.

engrpas
    Participant

ExecPlatAA: I would be interested to know whether you actually did this, and how it turned out. I have several stories from people whose tickets have been repriced when not using the last segment, particularly through ATL.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls