SIXT Car Hire in Austria

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Johnnyg
    Participant

Looking for recommendations for car hire. We visit every August and rent a car from either Salzburg or Munich. The last couple of years have been extortionate. We have had Avis, Europcar and budget and never had any problems. Looking in the last few days they are still pricey but SIXT come in a lot cheaper. We have extra insurance for car rental. I have heard a few reports re SIXT, anyone any views on their practices.

Thanks

2 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

I can’t speak for Austria, but I use Sixt regularly in a number of countries. They are my preferred provider and I haven’t had any problems with them so far.

1 user thanked author for this post.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

I’ve used SIXT a couple of times in Andalucia, Spain within last year, booking/collection/drop off all smooth with no unexpected costs. I also have car hire excess insurance and there was no pressure from SIXT to buy their insurance. Both cars I had were quite new with low kilometre readings.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Johnnyg
    Participant

Thank you, SIXT booked

ASK1945
    Participant

“Which” consumer magazine is reported in the UK media this morning as “Enterprise, Alamo, Hertz and Avis top their list of international [car] rental brands”. They report that Sixt comes in second last and budget brand Goldcar last.

Bizarre about Sixt. Mind you, the news report doesn’t say how this was measured and the parameters.

I will stick with Sixt, using my own experience.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Just compared Sixt with Avis at Alicante Aiport for a rental in mid-March for 9 days, Avis was GBP300 and Sixt GBP385

BrotherJim
    Participant

In Australia the SIXT brand is licenced to an organisation known as the NRMA which is a NSW based motoring organisation similar to the AA.

Up until 18 months ago the NRMA traded as Thrifty Car rental, but the owner of that brand (Avis or Hertz) wanted it back so the NRMA rebranded as SIXT. SIXT was present in Australia but was only small so the previous franchisee changed to someone else.

Also worth noting that the NRMA basically runs the airport locations but all the regional ones and non airport metro are individual franchisees, important in a second.

So overall it’s an established business and I use it a lot. The one key as mentioned is the non airport locations being individual operators really compete well on price which means rentals from non airport locations are very well priced. More so than the larger players.

I am heading back at Easter and have got a Camry hybrid for 14 days for $900aud from the Parramatta Sydney branch from the airport same car they wanted over $2000. Which was around the same price as Hertz/Avis/Europecar even at their non airport locations.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls