Singapore

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• HighlandTraveller
    Participant

Please forgive the non-business post! I need to be in Singapore for a conference for a few days in Spring next year. It is school holidays and I am thinking about taking the family (my wife and four children, by then 5,9,11 and 12). Any thoughts on Singapore as a family destination? Any hotel recommendations- conference in Marina Bay Sands.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

If you haven’t been before your in for a treat. It’s a wonderful destination. Just book a hotel with a decent pool so when the family are not at an attraction there’s a nice pool for them. That’s it, enjoy!

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Donald Trump will stay at Sentosa Resort, which is actually a nice resort hotel, or it was.

If it’s good enough for Trump 🙂

JasmineBear
    Participant

Mrs JB and our family preference is at the Shangri-La on Orchard Road.

Great pool, fabulous hotel food if you can’t be bothered to go out to eat.
    Club rooms and club access recommended.
    5 minute walk to Orchard Road and the shops (or hotel shuttle available)
    Only downside to your conference will be that it is 10 minutes cab to the Marina Bay Sands, or a 10 minute MRT ride.

If you want to stay very close to the conference, we also like the Mandarin Oriental

Might be a silly question…. Have you considered staying in the Marina Bay Sands?

handbag
    Participant

You must take them to see Gardens by the Bay at night . It has the most amazing light up artificial trees from 25 – 50 metres high, giving the most magical look over the park. Get there before it is dark and you can also go the the Flower Dome, which is the worlds largest colourless greenhouse. It is spectacular. If you want to eat with the locals there is also an outside street market for food, in the park by the river. There are many tempting dishes on offer. All this is a few minutes walk across the road from your conference hotel. The hotel is great at night to go up for a drink and have an amazing view over the city.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Singapore is a truly 24 hours city. There are a lot of family oriented attractions and activities that are available after office hours.
    There is night zoo, a reverse bungee jump at a hip evening eating place (Clark Quay) and if one is adventurous then eating at hawker centers where most locals eat will be an wonderful experience.
    During day time family can be on there own to see day time zoo, bird park, Sentosa island, universal studio, etc. Singapore is very safe and absolutely no problem for women and children on their own even at night.
    The Orchard road is a mile long shopping district that can keep a family busy for ever.
    Little India is another place to visit (avoid Sunday). Mustafa center at Little India is a 24 hours shop, where you can get almost anything with at least 20% cheaper than elsewhere.
    As another poster indicated, if your budget allows Marina Bay Sands for family that will also be a great experience

Flightlevel
    Participant

Very civilised city – a bit too civilised for me ‘though the hawkers markets are more relaxing, and lots to see and do, detailed above.
    The presidents are meeting on Sentosa Island, however staying on Orchard road so don’t go there next week!

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

The beauty of Singapore and there are many is you are never far away from anywhere. The MRT is quick and cheap and taxis are plentiful and easy to get except when it is pouring with rain. Uber is also available. I personally think MBS is overrated and there are plenty of hotels to choose from. Take a look at Expedia, Trivago. Kayak to compare the best deals. My favourite is The Regent which albeit at the top end of Orchard Road is a bit of an oasis away from the hustle and bustle. Most hotels are great value for money and as for your children they will be safe in Singapore. My three children grew up here and had a ball, one is working here now. Gardens on the Bay as handbag has said is brilliant and in one of the trees is the restaurant IndoChine, or was and whilst not cheap is excellent. The Botanical Gardens are worth a trip but not in the middle of the day.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Whilst there are better hotels in Singapore, the Marina Bay Sands is quite spectacular. From the 100m roof top infinity pool, to the mini Hummers and other types that take you to the lifts, the kids will absolutely love it. Mine certainly did. Next time go elsewhere but it’s a must try hotel.

ghlotus
    Participant

Don’t forget the Singapore Zoo – one of the best in the world. Best to visit early morning or late afternoon. Too hot during the day.
    Near the Gardens by the Bay is the “Marina Barrage” – bring the kids to fly kites late afternoon.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=869666]eating at hawker centers where most locals eat will be an wonderful experience[/quote]

I second this. On a trip a few years ago, we found one of these places near our hotel, all out on the street, and the food was amzing and incredibly reasonably priced.

We were back in S’pore last year and made a point of a revisit. It was still brilliant.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

HighlandTraveller – I think you and the family will love Singapore. A few hotel suggestions, with family in mind:

Fairmont / Swissotel share a very large swimming pool. It is right on top of a MRT station as well as a mall. You can also walk to many of the attractions like Clarke Quay, Raffles and down to the bay to enjoy the light and fountain show in the evening. Also a short car ride to Marina Bay Sands.

Marina Bay Sands has been covered, I’d just comment that the swimming pool area at the top of the hotel is often packed, particularly with people in the pool taking selfies.

Regent and Shangri La have also been covered and these are both great hotels. Next to Regent is JEN (used to be Traders and part of Shang group), very good sized pool here and an easy walk to the Botanical Gardens. I still find it strange seeing swans on a lake, whilst a few feet away you may see a good sized monitor lizard wander by.

Also in this area, but a little closer to shopping and Orchard MRT is the Grand Hyatt. This has a nice resort style pool area that the family would enjoy. They also have a separate children’s room at their Grand Club, should you go for a club room. For a family this may work out good value given F&B costs in Sing hotels.

Capella on Sentosa Island is a fantastic hotel which the family would love, but a bit of a trek to get to your conference.

HighlandTraveller
    Participant

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. Will give careful thought! Suspect it may depend on what deal I can find

GivingupBA
    Participant

I’ve been to Singapore many, many times, alone and with family/ children, and highly recommend it as a family destination AS LONG AS you are aware of the heat/ humidity and can manage it (manage it, not stand it i.e. loads of water/drinks, be sensible, don’t rush around or walk too far especially from 11 AM to 2 PM or so, include rest times, don’t try to do too much on any one day). Any hotel recommendations? Yes, my favourite now is Swissotel the Stamford, perfect location & not far from where you will be, subway station right underneath, loads of places to eat in the mall underneath, good prices for Singapore. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

K1ngston
    Participant

I have lived in Singapore for 4 years and I have read all the comments and I agree with some but here is the “locals” view

1. To clear up one comment, Trump stayed at the Shanghai La probably one of the best hotels on the island and if I may recommend they have the Shangri La Residences which with the young ones you are bringing may be a better option than hotel rooms? You can sign for food etc in the hotel and have access to the excellent pool. You are literally a 5 minute walk from Orchard Road with all possibilities from there!

2. Sentosa is a great location to take the kids, with Universal Studios, Sea World and many more attractions, there is also a all encompassing water park which is well policed and the kids if swimmers will love.

3. Eating out is generally vwery expensive especially if there are many of you, the reports on the Hawker Centres are correct, great food for local prices and you won’t be disappointed, in fact there were a number of stalls that were awarded Michelin Stars which is a testament to their quality.

4. Don’t be swayed to stay at the MBS… It is a zoo full of main land Chinese and their ideas of fun will not be conducive with yours so I highly recommend to avoid staying there… Having said that going to the infinity pool is a must but check whether they allow the kids I don’t think they do!

5. One of the best places to enjoy the Bay at night is at the pool of the Fullerton Bay Hotel (not to be confused with the Fullerton Hotel) again you would need to check with the kids but the Light show is spectacular and they will enjoy and you must go to the MBS shopping mall with the ice cream stands and food outlets a must but take away the CC from your loved one its not cheap

6. One of the trips you should take the kids on is the Duck Tour whereby you get to tour on the streets and then go into the Bay which is a great hour or so and the kids get duck whistles etc you’ll hate the noise they’ll love it …

7. Taxis are cheap but if there is many of you can be a bit of a chore, but the MRT and buses are the best in the world with your mobile working down there you wont be out of touch.

8. Singapore is extremely warm and humid and as mentioned you will need to keep the kids hydrated most important, I agree the zoo is amazing and the night safari is enchanting and not to be missed …

I am more than happy to add more if you wish please let me know, I have loved the last 4 years living in Singapore and as others may atest if you are also looking for some sport bars where you can have a beer and watch sport I am also your man ….

Enjoy your trip

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls