Singapore to Launch Premium Economy

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Anonymous

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

As per the link to the Australian BT – Singapore Airlines are to finally launch a premium economy which is great news for those travelling to Asia and Australia who cannot afford Business class or those who work for companies that don’t permit Business but do permit Premium.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-airlines-reveals-premium-economy-for-airbus-a380-a350-boeing-777

superchris
    Participant

whilst this is super news ( I am one of those working for myself), I think if you take a step back and look at this, the airline industry have been quite savvy in degrading their economy offering so much (10 abreast 777’s for example), that business travellers will virtually have little option but to travel in Y+, this increasing their revenue massively.

Of course it is further irony that if you look at the quality of Premium Economy seating (often 38 – 42 inch pitch), being virtually what business class used to be (I first started flying long haul on lufthansa’s business class which was a 40 inch pitch back in the mid 90’s), coupled with many airlines ditching First class, we are pretty much where we were 10 years ago, but the class names have changed. i.e. a typical business seat being what first used to be, Y+ being what C used to be etc.

Hard to criticise airlines of course when you see their minimal profit margins, but actually all we have done is change the class names to change the ‘optics’ of seniors sitting in business class when their firms are struggling. You can largely ignore First class in this as this is really just to take on the exec jets.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls