Singapore – BA vs Cathay

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

• paulkaz
    Participant

Pies1311. +1

BugAdvisor
    Participant

I also don’t like BA CW but if that is the only direct flight I’d take it. Well that is unless you enjoy getting on and off aircraft, wandering around airports looking for the lounge, checking your luggage status on trackdot etc. BTW don’t BA have an offer where you can upgrade to First one-way for free? Although I’m guessing the fare you’re looking at won’t qualify.

nmtraveller
    Participant

Re Qatar, I am personally not keen on changing plane in the middle of my journey. I find it exhausting – not enough time to sleep on each segment. If I have to change, I prefer to have one long segment and a short one.

Re BA upgrade to First, I believe that it is not on at the moment due to the Sales (I could be wrong). And it is unlikely anyway my discounted fare would be eligible.

astoria
    Participant

On a long haul flight if you have the choice don’t even think about P.E.+. Sure it’s quite lot better than “steerage” (aka World Traveller on B.A.) but nowhere near as good as Business (Club World on B.A.) I would opt for CX Business both ways. Personally I don’t give a damn about Airport Lounges it’s the flight I’m paying for and by far the most important decision.

Defcon5
    Participant

Qantas not an option? Or have they not restarted the route?

Naw-AU
    Participant

CX all the way…….Concorde Room is OK but nothing to rave about. Compared to F lounge in HKG it is quite poor. We dined in Concorde Room last week and the service & food were not First Standard. Cathay staff far surpass BA staff for service. This is my humble but accurate appraisal as my wife and I are both Diamond plus with CX.

MickBettesworth
    Participant

I have been fortunate enough to have travelled in BA first and CX.
    I have to say that my choice every time would be Cathay.

Waddsey1
    Participant

No doubt you have booked by now but given a choice between a businesss Class flight with Cathay and a first out and PE back with BA I would recommend you take Cathay. The crew and product from Cathay is simply superior.

I flew business with Cathay recently from HKG to SYD and first from SYD to SIN with BA. I preferred the Cathay product and service.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I was pleasantly surprised some months back flying SYD-SIN to being upgraded to First on BA16. At the risk of sounding ungrateful CX´s business class is as good, possibly better than BA´s First Class and I would hope that is an objective assessment. If I was paying a First fare on BA I would be disappointed

Alan
    Participant

Agree w/the majority here that CX would be preferred. Plus, in Changi, they are in the new Terminal 4 : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Changi_Airport_Terminal_4

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=847598]As it looks like you are sticking to One World I also recommend Qatar. I have used them a lot from Singapore to Europe and I highly recommend. Lounge in Doha is very good.
    [/quote]

I’d second this, except that routing through Doha breaks one very long flight into two long ones (and a wait in between) and interrupted sleep.

maxgeorge
    Participant

The newly upgraded and expanded CX/OW Pier Lounge is the best of all the HKG Lounges.

And that is really saying something.

CX.

K1ngston
    Participant

For what its worth and someone who does the flight regularly I would go BA, the flight is a long one and then to get off and have to wait in HKG before getting on another 3.5 hour flight why do that to yourself?

I have not flown F on the 380 but fly PE and have to say its comfortable and you get what you pay for, but its point to point and in these days of diminished time spent why would you add time to an already long flight …..

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls