Singapore Airport – SQ lounge has no resting facilities

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Cashsuds
    Participant

Correct me if I am wrong!!-

Almost every airline in their base city (cities) has business/first lounges which allow decent rest facilities, recliners, etc should their connecting flights does not allow connections even in the small wee hours of the morning. So much for them being an international airport!!
    Singapore is different. It does not matter even if you travel First, their lounge in Singapore does not allow any recliners!!
    Uncomfortable seats aplenty! They advise you to check into the nearest airport hotel should you need a rest!!
    Am I being too demanding that if I travel Business/First with SQ that their lounge in Singapore should have “rest” facilities like what BA/ Virgin Atlantic in London, or Emirates in Dubai, Cathay in Hong Kong has? Does any body else know whether US carriers in different US cities have these facilities??

Pies1311
    Participant

I agree with you re the SQ Biz lounge at Changi. There is a quiet area within the lounge however this still has the same seating, I have often seen people put 2 chairs together to get some sleep…but not at all ideal.
    There are plans to revamp the main lounge in Terminal 3, I think this work is due to start next year so hopefully this will provide proper couches. However having seen the new style SQ lounge at Heathrow and HK don’t count on it, but as its their hub airport you never know.

My major gripe for SQ at Changi is they have a separate lounge for Star Alliance Gold members travelling in classes outside Biz. This lounge is truly awful, basic food, no bathroom in the lounge.
    Also SQ policy on not allowing lounge entry for Star Alliance gold travelling on Silk Air (even when booked on an SQ ticket!) sucks. Hence when I travel short haul and I know its going to be Silk Air I always select another airline (Thai or One World) where I am guaranteed lounge entry with my status.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Like many airlines SIA close their lounges over night for deep cleaning and maintenance when they have no departures. SIA are clear, these are departure lounges, not arrival. If you want a night’s rest then using a hotel is a far better option, there is one in the airport if you don’t want to go further but you can be downtown in twenty minutes so plenty of time to get there and things to do when you do.

Equally SIA provide a *G lounge at SIN for *G card holders who are not traveling in Suites, First or Business class. It’s better than many similar facilities that you will find in other places. The model has been copied by QR at Doha and in my view it’s a welcome development, it’s right to protect premium services and those paying for them offering a consistently high quality product, there is no need to offer that level of service to status card holders traveling in economy class. SIA however unlike QR do admit F & C passengers of other *A carriers to their First and Business class lounges, only The Private Room is reserved to their own passengers traveling in Suites or First.

As one of their regular customers I find it all works very well.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ahmad
    Participant

I agree with JohnHarper that allowing cardholders access to premium lounges dilutes the quality of service provided there simply because of the number of users. This is also why I avoid airlines which fill up their premium cabins with upgrades because, as everyone here will I’m sure agree, the level of service in a full cabin is not the same as in an empty one (barring a few rare exceptions).

By the way (and I am not touting for QR), just for the record and the benefit of someone who may want to use the QR premium lounges at DOH when flying F/J on another OneWorld carrier, OneWorld rules entitle their use. I haven’t had occasion to benefit from this rule yet so can’t say whether it is applied in practice.

TS-Andy
    Participant

[quote quote=731598]I agree with JohnHarper that allowing cardholders access to premium lounges dilutes the quality of service provided there simply because of the number of users. This is also why I avoid airlines which fill up their premium cabins with upgrades because, as everyone here will I’m sure agree, the level of service in a full cabin is not the same as in an empty one (barring a few rare exceptions).

By the way (and I am not touting for QR), just for the record and the benefit of someone who may want to use the QR premium lounges at DOH when flying F/J on another OneWorld carrier, OneWorld rules entitle their use. I haven’t had occasion to benefit from this rule yet so can’t say whether it is applied in practice.

[/quote]

I don’t think SIA’s silverkris lounge admit Business class passengers of other star alliance airlines. For example, I had taken Air China Business Class departing from SIN but I was never invited into SIA’s silverkirs lounge. It may be different for F passengers of other star alliance airlines.

Ahmad
    Participant

TS-Andy,

I haven’t used it when travelling on TG out of SIN because there isn’t one in T1, but I believe the rules allow it. I have often used the SilverKris Lounge at BKK when travelling Business Class on TG for breakfast (they serve a much better one than any of the TG Business Class Lounges) without any issue by just showing my boarding pass. Only problem is that the Lounge does not usually open at the stated time of 06:30. On several occasions I found them still cleaning up. They admitted me once, but refused twice by stating that they open at 07:00. Since the second refusal I haven’t bothered going before 7am.

JohnHarper
    Participant

[quote/
    I don’t think SIA’s silverkris lounge admit Business class passengers of other star alliance airlines. For example, I had taken Air China Business Class departing from SIN but I was never invited into SIA’s silverkirs lounge. It may be different for F passengers of other star alliance airlines.

[/quote]

Air China use T1 at Changi, SIA use T2&3. Had you walked to the business lounge in either terminal you would have been admitted. You would not receive an invitation as it’s not the right terminal and Air China would direct you to their contract lounge – probably SATS which would be most convenient.

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Ahmad, are you sure about the QR lounges? I thought they reserved entry to their own lounges for their own premium pax? Other lounges are offered for OW elites, no?

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=733124]Ahmad, are you sure about the QR lounges? I thought they reserved entry to their own lounges for their own premium pax? Other lounges are offered for OW elites, no?

[/quote]

Yes I am fairly certain. For a short period before AlSafwa opened, they didn’t allow other OneWorlds. Now even the QR website says so.

http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/lounges.page

Do try it if the need arises. Hope this helps.

Cashsuds
    Participant

Travel like a king sleep like a tramp – SQ First Class

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls