Singapore Airlines Economy

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

Frequentflyer01
    Participant

Today was meant to be my 4th trip from UK to Singapore in 14 months.

I foolishly decided to book a ticket with Singapore Airlines even though it cost nearly 500 pounds for a single ticket, counting on its previous great customer service. It turned out to be the worst decision in over 20 years of flying.

I was returning to Singapore after a long absence. My movers had accidentally left a number of things unpacked the night before flying and having no weighing scales and a looming exam in 10 days, turned up at Manchester Airport with an overweight hand luggage full of my dismantled computer parts and books more than an hour before departure.

There were 2 counters open, one with first class written over it and the other internet checking. I went to the latter to be redirected to a security queue and after 10 minutes was told that that was the wrong queue and then redirected to yet another wrong queue.

Eventually, I went to the counter with first class written over it. The woman ( calling her a lady would be too inaccurate) weighed my checked-in luggage and told me that I had to move them to another counter as the flight was nearly ready for boarding. She then found my hand luggage overweight and just told me that I had to abandon it and even proceeded to make me put my prada handbag on the not quite clean weighing belt.

There was no attempt on her part to give me any options and even though I informed her that I was moving to Singapore and could not just leave my bag with my friend who turned up, especially with my books needed for my impending exam. She informed me that I had no time to partially unpack my hand luggage.

We had to ask her about the cost of the excess luggage which she reluctantly provided. When asked about upgrading to business class, she informed me that that was not an option! She just kept insisting that I should not fly that day after my friend mentioned that I had a flexible ticket.

She asked for a customer officer to approach so that she could take me off the flying list. It was only when we asked her again about upgrading that the customer officer offered that it would cost another 1400 pounds. At this point, the first woman still kept insisting that it was not possible to check in another 20kg even with upgrading. We found her attitude so appalling that we decided not to fly that day.

Fortunately my dog who was due to fly out with Qantas the next day had also postponed for a week.

In fact it would have cost me a lot less to fly with another airline and paid for the excess luggage. At the customer service counter, there was a lot of mention of extra charges if I were to rebook (not mentioned BEFORE taking me off the flight) and a lot of mention of different class, etc.

I had a fully flexible ticket valid for a year but was made to feel like I had bought the ticket for 20 pounds! However, it was the whole attitude of the first woman behind the counter that put us off. We saw her going for her break about 2 minutes later so evidently was trying to get rid of us so that she could go for a break. Helpfulness is not a word in her vocabulary.

My opinon is that if I had to do it again, I would travel with ANY other airline but never again with Singapore Airlines. What a letdown.

TominScotland
    Participant

Frequentflyer01

I think we all have lots of sympathy for anyone facing a stressful travel situation BUT it does seem that, in part, this was of your own making. Traveling knowingly with overweight luggage, why leave it so late to check in? Had you given yourself enough time (2 to 3 hours), a better solution might have been available. Even if your movers messed things up, you could have organised your hand luggage more cleverly.

OK, check-in staff should never be rude but what was your attitude – calm, understanding of her problem in accepting you? I somehow doubt it. And £500 for a single ticket, while not to sniff at, is hardly a top of the range price……..

I think you need to take some responsibility for the mess you ended up in!!

craigwatson
    Participant

I was thinking the exact same thing as Tom wrote. Check in closes 60 minutes before departure, after that there is NO check in, but yet art which point you were still arguing about your hand baggage.

There are rules for a reason, they arent just chosen at randon, and there are very good reasons why check in needs to close at a certain time before departure, now staff can bend the rules at their discretion, BUT it’s how you come across that may or may not persuade them to bend the rules for YOU.

Sorry just had to Edit this as just saw something I had missed.

Did you really try to check in for a flight with a bag full of dismantled computer parts!!!?? In that case I would have given myself 4-5 hours for check in, as the pat down and extra security checks would most likely take that long.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Craig

Although I agree with your comments that she left it far too late to check in, I am interested in why you are concerned about dismantled computer parts in hand luggage?

I regularly travel with a bag of leads and various components, such as a hand scanner, mouse, presenter controller, several different leads and adaptors, external HDD, external DVD, a couple of wireless dongles and some SD cards.

The last time I got stopped because of these was in Madrid in Jan 2011, about 140 flights ago – occasionally they will ask to swab my bag for explosives (as I am collecting the bag, not because it is pulled after x-raying) and they are often interested in the hand scanner, but only because they have not seen one before and are surprised that it is possible to use a fax type scanner in a long thin case.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls