Since HK started to reopen Cathay have employed near 500 more pilots

Back to Forum
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

The airline has since the easing of HK Covid restrictions employed almost 500 more pilots with more on the way according to local news sources.

The pilot head count is now back to about 2500 I am reading with some 250 pilots re-joining with many of these coming back from the Covid induced closure of Dragon Air and also many returning that left Hong Kong when Covid hit and salaries were reduced.

I am told that at least 1000 more pilots will be needed as Cathay continues to regrow capacity however by todays industry standards and with it seems still one of the best expat contracts around for families (with benefits including schooling allowance of $100K per chip p.a., family medical care paid by the airline and a housing allowance of up to $100k per month for senior captain) the airline is I understand very hopeful of getting back to the 4000 pilots that will ultimately be needed.
    My long term neighbour recently retired as a senior captain and he was earning about HK$3.6 million p.a. plus all of the benefits. However of course since Covid no airline is now paying that sort of money but an old friend who was also at our recent BBQ and who fly’s B747 freighters takes home now about $2.6 million with flying allowances thus with the tax rate in HK at 17% Cathay pilots are still look to be doing pretty well.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls