SilkAir A319 (config 1)

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Anonymous

I arrived at Bao An International Airport around 0930 hours for my fight departing 1150 hours. I checked the information board which showed that check-in counter was indicated as D. But looking around I could not find the Silkair counter. As I stopped at an unnamed counter guessing that might be the one. A male staff then approached me asking if I am heading for Singapore. I said yes and he said that this was the correct counter. I lamented to him that he could have put up some signs instead of making passengers second guessing. To which he replied that they have not opened the counter yet. But I glanced further up on the same row D, at least Korean Air have a stand indicating “Korean Air” I don’t see why Silkair could not have taken advantage free advertisement with sign posting. Any way the staff at the counter checked me in.

Immigration clearance took a while (probably 10 minutes) but security clearance was quite fast with a special lane for First and Business class passengers.

I proceeded to the lounge allocated by Silkair near gate 9. The lounge was operated by an independent operator known as Joyee which is servicing several airlines and Priority Pass holders. As I entered the lounge I was not impressed at all. I could not fathom why Silkair being a star-alliance member could not have collaborated with a star-alliance gold lounge operated by Shenzhen Air nearby so that Silkair passengers can use that lounge. That lounge which I had visited before is of a better class and well equipped.

The interior design looks old although I remembered that the airport’s completion was not too long ago. There was a section cordon for first class passengers. Breakfast spread in Chinese style was decent – eggs boiled with tea leaves, porridge amongst other but choice was fairly limited. Beverage selection was decent but alcohol selection had only beer.

The lounge has a humble selection of papers and magazines of which I can only find one English paper (Shenzhen News or the like). The lounge has free Wi –Fi , yes and few desktops computers for available for use.

Boarding was announced at 1125 hours and I took a short walk to gate 9 for boarding. I had pre-selected by seat (2C). The plane looked tired with seats upholstery looked old. Welcome drinks offered was either orange juice or apple juice. I found out that there was no champagne on board. The FA offered me chilled white wine instead. I accepted the offer. I was not wearing any jacket but another passenger who sat next to me was carrying a jacket but his jacket was not taken until upon request.

The plane pushed back around 12 noon. The pilot did introduce himself and brief us on the flight including telling us he expect no delay on arrival.

For in-flight entertainment there was a Lenovo pad provided. Movie selection was poor.
    Lunch was simple where we are given to option for the main course which was either stewed chicken with rice or spaghetti with fish.

Topping up of drinks and wine were mostly upon request. This team fell well short of SQ standard of service. Our arrival was on roughly on time.

Review courtesy of Seatplans.com. Original review by user TS-Andy can be found here

TominScotland
    Participant

Thanks for the review.

It is worth pointing out that Silkair is NOT a member of the Star Alliance (unlike Singapore Airlines) – this would explain their lounge provision at Shenzhen

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls