Sick of bargain flights for ALL but UK!

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)

• PeterCoultas
    Participant

MrMichael: the only problem for Oz trips is the journey – once there Brits are covered by a reciprocal agreement for medical treatment, and, as you might expect it is at least as good as here

MarcusGB
    Participant

I agree with many re good deals from the UK,not just with BA but many Airlines.

I use the Euro values these days at 1.4 to the £, can really save a good 40-70% on a fare.

Etihad for eg, can be as much as %70 for a business or First return ex
    European cities.
    A hop over to dublin and save £800 – £3,000 for a return to Sydney.
    A First Class apartment ex DUB to Sydney with two free nights stopovers each way in AUH, chauffeurs included, there, and each end of your trip ) is £4,100, and Business £2010 as checked yesterday. From LHR they wanted double these amounts.

KLM Ex Amsterdam, AMS, DUB, VDG than LHR. KLM also have a what seems to be permanent offer for -60% of Business fares (meaning Bkk starts from approx £1,050 return Business class). You just buy 3 months ahead.

Its just how it is, but we can play their games just as well, by using the same Airlines or better Ex Europe. The Fares Ex Europe in Euros really are tremendous value.

I also continue to protest and will not pay the highest airport and Government taxes in The World ex LHR, and other airports, especially as we do live on an island!

Living in North London, i would much prefer a quiet start and ending with a flight ex LCY to a National Airline hub in Europe, or just one where the fares are far less. This cuts out hours of time through LHR and the to and from. On this basis as well, i treat my journey as a great bargain from London, using the same Airlines, just an airport within an hrs flight, and a £100 return to most European cities.

Cwyfan
    Participant

Just had a thought, is all this nationalistic prejudice the reason no economical one-way fares are sold by BA?

If one-way fares were always available, then this issue would not be there

Perhaps that is the issue we should really be seeking to improve..

HarryMonk
    Participant

Km

Economical one way fares are sold by BA, certainly for short haul, not sure about long haul though

stevescoots
    Participant

Agreed, BA do have good one way ET and CE tickets. I dont know of any long haul carriers with one ways that are 50% of a return

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am just looking at the prices for my next BKK trip for late January and I have already seen plenty in J for £1,300 (thirteen hundred pounds sterling). This is on the once ‘favourite airline’

I think this is incredible value.

Down side:

*ex Europe so around the houses

*poor and outdated J class product

*declining food

Upside

**INCREDIABLE value

**I can sleep very well, even on the outdated product

**sufficient (very useable) avios for 4 return flights to Europe

To me this goes beyond bargain basement…, I wonder who is paying who to fly…

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Martyn, have you looked at AY – similar fares to the one you are quoting are the norm and you now get the A350 on the HEL-BKK sector and on some LHR-HEL sectors.

Alternatively QR, much better product and points.

No need to start from a European hub in either case so great time savings, great value and a better product than the home team have.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

There is no question that the BA J product is going down hill and with speed. Clearly there are many newer products and the Finnair product looks quite amazing.

However, my travel profile is based on cost, maximising avios, ability to sleep and enjoyment. Time en route (for me) is not a factor. At 54 years of age, I do not take on any work that involves time critical travel times..

Cost – ex Europe on BA, currently offers tremendous value

Maximising avios – I have virtually a “red rover” ticket for flights around Europe, thanks to the wonderful avios scheme (short haul)

Sleep – whilst I constantly moan about the cr*p BA J class, bottom line is on 2 x 12 hour+ flights recently, I was asleep for at least 7 – 8 hours, (with no sleeping pill)

Enjoyment – most of my work can be completed remotely and I absolutely love using the magnificent lounges in the Far East. great food, great selection of whiskey and wine, this is one of my enjoyments.

So going around the houses, works for me.. and this UK based Brit, believes he gets amazing value by using European based fares.

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls