Sick of bargain flights for ALL but UK!

Back to Forum

This topic contains 52 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  MartynSinclair 5 Dec 2015
at 14:24

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

• MrDarwin
    Participant

It can also sometimes be cheaper overall to search using a multi-stop itinerary, starting the itinerary from ex-EU city to destination, then returning destination to LHR. Therefore you only need to buy a one way fare on the outbound to the ex-EU city. Doesn’t always work out cheaper, but it sometimes does.

StewartK
    Participant

There’s a bit in the Gulf edition of today’s Times about very cheap airfares on offer over Chrstmas holiday period.

handbag
    Participant

Thank you.

flyingtonight
    Participant

Apologies as my post is slightly off topic. I usually always fly from LHR or LGW direct and have never considered using a carrier such as BA from DUB or BRU etc via LHR or LGW. I have recently spent a lot of time researching fares with BA from European airports in business and WTP and am surprised at how much cheaper it can be to do this. I am fairly new to the forum but have been reading the posts for years and would be grateful for any advice from members who have made such a trip. If I was travelling DUB-LHR-MIA-LHR-DUB with BA for example, as I understand it I would need to make two separate reservations, one trip LHR-DUB-LHR and the other as mentioned above. For those of you who have done this and who don’t want to stay overnight in DUB on the first leg of the outbound trip, would you simply take a very early flight and then start the journey from DUB on the same day checking in all of your luggage via DUB, claim it and then start the process again at DUB after you arrive? Also, I have read posts where members do not take the final leg of the trip (back to DUB from LHR eg). I realise travellers are not supposed to do this. I assume they would ask check-in staff to only check baggage to LHR in this instance. I have tried to search the forum for info but haven’t found anything to help me. It does seem a very long winded way of getting a cheaper fare, (a bit like my post), but as I understand it the savings can be significant. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help who has perhaps done this previously.

MrMichael
    Participant

I have used BA business class to Sydney. To get a fare in the region of £1900 instead of £3500 I used Oslo. Last time I booked a one way fare LGW to Oslo with Norwegian for around £50 and had another ticket OSL-LHR-SIN-SYD & return on BA. On the way back I asked them to only check the luggage through to LHR as I had a full days layover, I then felt rather tired and emotional and did not use the last sector LHR-OSL. I understand this way of saving money works on lots of different routes, but worth shopping around for different fares from points such as OSL-BGO-AMS-BRU-DUB.

flyingtonight
    Participant

@MrMichael, thanks very much for taking the trouble to post that information. It’s much appreciated. Great saving!

MrDarwin
    Participant

Ex-EU isn’t just limited to BA savings either. I got a fare from Barcelona to Melbourne in business with Qatar for £1650, routing BCN – MEL return via Doha so no need to back track to Heathrow so at least it always felt like I was in continuous motion towards my end destination! It really has to be worth the saving for such a trip as I did find it quite challenging arriving into BCN having already travelled for around 23 hours to have to collect bags and check in for another flight…

ontherunhome
    Participant

Dear Flyingtonight, I have used ex Dublin fares to get cheap BA tickets, or AA for US flights. I usually take a evening before flight to Dublin, and stay at the airport. Always take last but one flight, just in case. For the return trip, you can always fly into LHR, but make the final leg to Dublin from LGW, then you can retrieve your bags, and make your way to Gatwick. With all the issues of trains, M25 etc, I never seem to be able to get my last leg flight. You can also fly from City to Dublin too. If travelling in economy, savings are to be had, but not huge. It makes sense though as you move into Premium or club cabins. Safe travel

MartynSinclair
    Participant

You do raise an interesting point flyingtonight

This wonderful travel Forum does contain a wealth of information, often repeated, but the search facility is very poor. I did search “ex-Europe” on the Forum on it created a list of 31 pages of threads on the subject.

All my longhaul is ex-Europe and mainly with OneWorld. I do this for 2 reasons, primarily for cost, and second for avios, which I am able to use for 90% of my European travel needs.

Ex-Europe tickets are certainly NOT illegal, you are merely playing the system. Although the airlines at one stage did try to stop people flying ex-Europe by telling travel in Germany, NOT to sell tickets when they knew it was being used as ex-Europe. With most tickets being bought via the internet, this is no longer a problem.

The most used starting points are Milan – Amsterdam – Dublin – Arlanda (there may also be others).

Simply use these airports as your starting point in which ever booking system you use.. including the airline websites.

Then separately, book your first flight out and last flight back to the UK.

I now book the first and last flights as single tickets. The current trip to BKK I am on, started at Heathrow but will end at London City.

Whether to out on the day of departure or the night before depends on timings.

I usually will depart from Heathrow taking the flight that then turns into the first part of my ex_Europe departure. At airports like Amsterdam, you just go up the airbridge and wait at the top for boarding to commence for the next flight. Always check whether you need to go through the airport system. However, if you tell the Cabin Crew what you are doing there are short cuts, especially for business class passengers.

Clearly you cant check bags in when you leave the UK for Europe. The answer is simple, if it is a same day departure and you are returning back to Heathrow to fly the longhaul…BA will allow you to check in bags for the long haul, even if you tell them you are taking a separate flight first. There is no need to store in left luggage.

One other point that I very nearly got caught out on recently.. is travel insurance. YOU MUST BOOK ALL SECTORS, including the separate London to Europe and Europe to London to validate your travel insurance. This is because as I understand, travel insurance covers trips that must start and finish in the UK. If you need to cancel an ex-Europe ticket due to ill health and for some reason have not yet purchased ALL sectors, your claim could be denied..

I hope this helps. if there is anything more specific please ask

and…. welcome to the BT Forum..

flyingtonight
    Participant

Thanks very much MrDarwin and ontherunhome, really useful information. I have just lost BA Gold status due to ill health and therefore not flying as much so a good (and cheaper!) way of earning avios and tier points if flying in Business. I have never used Qatar but have read a lot of good things about their business product and of course they are a member of One World which is the alliance I tend to use.

stevescoots
    Participant

Martyn pretty much sums it up. I have an annual travel insurance so no need issues with starting point. Also do not be tempted to save a little more by using a different airline to get to the ex-EU point. use the same one but seperate ticket. that way if there is a problem on your outbound flight the airline will put you on the long haul without having to go to EU, or will let you get on if you can get to the transit airport in time. BA have done this a couple of times with friends

MrMichael
    Participant

Good point Stevescoots. I tend to fly to the departure point the day before and have a layover, with an old friend in Oslo it is nice to catch up over one of Europes most expensive pints!

Martyn, was curious about what you said regarding travel insurance, in fact you made my heart miss a beat. I have 2 annual travel policy’s, one for business trips, and a family one for non business travel. Do you think with the family policy I am covered for my Oz trips via Oslo, generally using a different airline to Oslo than the intercontinental journey?

Edski777
    Participant

I just did the math on a trip early April to Miami. Using Google Flights I came to LHR-MIA-LHR in J at € 3940 (BA A380 hardware). The same long haul but ex-Europe, in this case Amsterdam came out at:
    AMS-LHR-MIA-LHR-AMS in J at € 2590 (All on BA). An extra ticket LHR-AMS-LHR in Y would add € 117.

The financial benefit would be € 1239 or 31%.

Couldn’t get the site to use the UKP on my PC, but anyway, the advantage is rather clear. Other airports may even be cheaper.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Generally, but not always…. Dublin is better for USA and you get full BA tier points on AA… plus a far better J seat…. than BA

flyingtonight
    Participant

Thank you for the welcome MartynSinclair and for the very helpful advice regarding the initial outbound flight and travel insurance. It had never crossed my mind there may be an issue and of course it could turn out to be a nightmare if cover was denied and someone was taken ill, especially in the USA. I have an annual policy so will check the t & c’s out.
    Very helpful post also stevescoots, thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls