Sick of bargain flights for ALL but UK!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)

• TheRealBabushka
    Participant

Edski777,

Interesting drivel about Europe. Can I suggest you read Daniel Hannan’s book “How we invented freedom and why it matters”?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Jamesay, to make you gnash your teeth a bit more 🙂 have a look here.

https://www.swiss.com/switzerland/EN/48h-sale?WT.mc_id=NLCH1542E_3&WT.sect=all&WT.rem=all&country=CH&lang=2

I’ve also started a thread for the sale.

oneworldflier101
    Participant

I completely agree with Jamesay.

Yes we are all used to it but I am getting more and more offended by BA’s pricing.

I was shocked this week to read all about BA’s fares from the US – $1800 less $400 AARP discount for anyone less 10% for having their credit card (when do I ever get that with a BA Amex) so $1300 (so £850) Club Return from most US cities. Unbelievable versus £3k ish minimum if I book ex London.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/10/15/amazing-deal-1300-business-class-tickets-to-europe/

Yes as some say ex Europe fares are cheaper as they are not Direct. But these are not the case they are Direct US-London and BA continue to rip off their home loyal customers. I agree to vote with feet and am now using Cathay, Qatar and others as much as possible and using the Avios I earn on BA European flights which remain good value if you have Gold to be able to get availability.

StewartK
    Participant

Some great offer on EK at the moment – e.g. LGW/DBX/LGW in First for £3685.

Polly
    Participant

SJGNI1961
    Just curious how you manage to get this status without biz flying. My sis in Dub is trying to get avios etc but it’s difficult over there as amex not accepted in all areas. Is it you just fly ex EU biz, and accumulate TPs and avios that way. We do this also, in flats like the other poster are doing similar. DUb to NYC next July in J class for under £600 pp. Incredible. Obviously have to position with avios to Dub first.
    Agree it’s totally unfair that we can’t get good prices directly from LHR.
    Just love reading these threads, and the advice given…

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Sorry, I don’t think I was very clear in what I was trying to say. I do always fly IN business, never ON business. And I wish to add that since the idiots who run my part of the world decided to shut down the only affordable parking at BHD, ALL my future travel will be from DUB. The insanely expensive airport car parking didn’t like some honest competition so rather than compete for the business of their customers, they had it closed down on a planning technicality. Nothing like keeping your monopoly intact. Voting with my money so I will be seeing a lot more of DUB which is sad in a way as the BA lounge at BHD isn’t bad.

MrMichael
    Participant

If BA could fill up their flights from LHR without discounting around Europe they would. Lets say they can only fill up half their seats from LHR originating pax, they then have to wok out how to fill the other half. They have a choice, reduce fares, thus in many cases having to discount the half they have already sold at a good margin, or flog them elsewhere at a discounted rate. Other than the odd “sale” they have chosen to flog them off on the European market, and many of us take advantage of that. So they keep a good margin on the LHR originating pax, and a lesser margin on those joining from outside the UK, but it does protect their higher margin sales.

FRANCESCABARNES
    Participant

That’s why I never fly from the UK butmakethe little inconvenient trip to Dublin to get these basement fares.

peter19
    Participant

Some great fares this weekend if you have taken advantage of the £700 for 30K miles BA offer for black friday. The dates are restrictive but i just booked business from Aberdeen to Boston for £700. There was basically no price difference from adding in the ABZ to LHR sector. Its about the best we will get!

handbag
    Participant

Hi Curious as to how you book to get these lower fares, if you are based near LHR. Do you book

one flight
    e.g. LHR – AMS – MIA – AMS – LHR
    or
    2 flights
    e.g.
    LHR – AMS – LHR
    AMS -MIA – AMS

Thanks

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Handbag – not the best example as KLM do not fly to Mia. If you use KLM web site its giving you options with all the various sky team partners, but as the above posts indicate, if you book Ams-Mia-Ams the system will assume that’s your point to point and will be a high cost.

handbag
    Participant

Gin&Tonic – 30/11/2015 01:58 GMT

Hi

What about if you were using BA or in fact if you substitute the MIA for any destination that an airline flies to. I am just trying to work out what is the procedure. One flight with it all or separate flights. thanks.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

If you are flying from a UK airport you need to book one ticket , example LHR – MIA – LHR and then look for best options using a carrier via Europe not direct to MIA from LHR

handbag
    Participant

Sorry, but I am really confused. The way I have been reading the previous posts on here for some time, is that if go via AMS for example it is a lot cheaper due to the offers and also not having to pay the UK flight taxes.

Are you saying, I book one ticket, that is for example,
    LHR -AMS – LHR -MIA – LHR – AMS – LHR

Do you then only get caught for the higher UK price on the LHR AMS LHR bit and not on the MIA bit.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Handbag use any of the many web sites , Google flight , Expedia etc, put your origin and destination with dates, invariable the lowest costs will be on an airline which has one stop.
    The other examples on here using BA is you buy a ticket for example Mia from Ams which will transit via LHR, often BA are cheaper ex a European airport than from the UK. So you book ex Europe and buy a cheap fare with a low cost carrier to get you to the start point and back.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls