Shrinking BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

loneflyer
    Participant

BA lost BMed to Bmi. BA Connect was sold to Flybe and now GB is lost to easyjet. Will BA have any shorhaul left soon? Makes is hard to gain status in the exec club if you don’t fly long haul very much.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Absolutely, as a useless BA fan based in Inverness I could still at least play my card on those “short haul” hops to Stornoway, Kirkwall and Sumburgh – but bang goes the Loganair one too. They did say it should be renamed London airways….
    BA LHR to Newcastle has to be next, already frequency is set to reduce and LGW-NCL is gone.
    At least our one-eyed Jack card that is Aberdeen to LHR & LGW – a rare breed of mainline BA service within its home country – should be relatively safe as the rail speed competition ends firmly at Edinburgh.

CRAIGADAMS
    Participant

It looked like British Airways were planning to go separate ways from GB Airways back when GB Airways were not allocated use of gates at the new Terminal 5 at Heathrow. The franchise with GB Airways was certainly a benefit to British Airways customers and executive club members. It gave us access to Club class travel options on routes that will now be served only by budget airlines. This also made it easier to build up tier points and BA air miles on a much wider range of destinations around Europe and the Mediterranean.
    It leaves British Airways with a greater reliance on long haul routes from Heathrow (a deeply unpopular airport) for its business and with a diminished network and poorer connections. British Airways must be very confident the new Terminal 5 is going to more than make up for this retreat.

LynnWood
    Participant

BA is now shedding Aberdeen to Gatwick – that leaves us with no route into flights to holiday destinations (unless via Heathrow and the M25) which is just appalling – what’s the point of calling it British Airways when they are virtually removing all British internal flights?
    Annoyed of Aberdeen!

JamesMalta
    Participant

Just thoroughly enjoy the premium cabins on BA long haul, and still like the First cabin best. For short haul Club World is OK, but shabby.

transtraxman
    Participant

I just thought you would like to know that I have seen this topic of 2007 after posting a new( but strongly related one) on 15th July 2010.
    You might be interested in its contents and comments.
    “British Airways has lost its way”.

It is also related to the topic:”BA–how to survive ??” first published 6th October 2009 which I also subsequently discovered.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls