Should APD be devolved to Holyrood?

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

canucklad
    Participant

The SNP have asked that all Scottish MP’s vote against the above inflation rise and to consider devolving this particular tax under Edinburgh’s control

The Scottish government, airports and tourism leaders have called on the UK government to devolve Air Passenger Duty (APD) before the 2014 Commonwealth Games and the Ryder Cup.
    In addition The SNP have asked that all Scottish MP’s vote against the above inflation rise and to consider devolving this particular tax under Edinburgh’s control

Here are some key points and quotes as per the BBC News website……….

The majority of MSPs believe the Scottish Parliament should have control over the aviation tax.
    It said the Scottish economy could lose £210m a year in tourism spend by 2016.
    There is concern that the duty is applied uniformly across the UK, with no consideration given to the differences between a large hub airport like Heathrow, and smaller regional airports such as Dundee.
    Transport Minister Keith Brown said: “Scotland will welcome the world in 2014 courtesy of the Commonwealth Games and Ryder Cup, and yet we are in the absurd situation of increasing costs for people who intend to visit Scotland

Gordon Dewar, chief executive of Edinburgh Airport, said airlines were questioning the viability of basing planes in Scotland because of APD

What’s your thoughts and moe importantly regardless of whether Scotland becomes fully independant what would the implications be if as proposed edinburgh takes control of the APD and promptly scraps it…..

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

What’s the difference between APD and Scottish unis charging English students £9k and Scots

Papillion53
    Participant

Morning Canucklad – without wishing to get political about a certain wee Mannie who pontificates not a million miles from the Papillion household, my gut instinct would be that the SNP would replace it with something else after 2014, if they scrapped it pre-2014. Don’t believe a word they say, they are not called the Sneaky Nats for nothing! 😉

My other gut instinct tells me that most tourists, if flying, and coming to Scotland will fly into a London airport. How many direct international flights into Scotland are there? Of course I know there are many, but relative to the number into LHR/LGW for example, what sort of percentage?

Did the APD affect the numbers coming to the Olympics?

FDoS – your comment makes no sense ….

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“FDoS – your comment makes no sense ….”

That’s because the comment I typed into the message box is appearing truncated on the website and refuses to display the rest of the post.

I agree that it makes no sense, but I haven’t got time to re-type it all, as I am working.

canucklad
    Participant

Morning Papillion….

Yes, let’s avoid getting political about the upcoming debates…

However it’s your point about most tourists using London as an entry point that would be my starting point…..

In the same BBC piece they quoted that it costs a family of four on a return flight in economy class from the US £268 in air passenger duty…

Or close to $500 dollars their end….If EDI, GLA & possibly even PIK could start promoting their airports as entry points, how would the airports down south react……remember the NI assembly had to do a U-turn because of competition from Dublin…

On your 2nd question about how many flights, it seems that the management at EDI are trying their best to attract new routes and carriers …..these now include AC, Turkish and Qatar on the horizon…..If there was no or,a much reduced APD it would be easier to attract and more importantly sustain these routes and markets…..remember EDI lost Atlanta a couple of years ago…

And,you coud argue that EDI is geographically well placed as an entry point into the UK……and sorry should say GLA too ! :))

Edit to add….And as a connecting point on to Poland and other cities in Europe without the need to back track …..after all , as you know Papillion…look up into the sky and all ypu see is aircraft traversing our beautiful country !!

Papillion53
    Participant

Canucklad – indeed, there were several this morning as I enjoyed a stroll with the mutts and a lovely cup of coffee on the back terrace enjoying and surveying the Papillion Estate! 😉

Yes the southern Scottish airports would be a great entry point into the UK, and would encourage more tourists to come here directly, but I still feel that many more will always wish to include London, especially if its a “Grand Tour” visit.

It’s a great idea in principle, it’s just Holyrood!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I feel the Scots should be able to set their own rate of APD if that will help them attract more business from QR et al. It could then have the effect of reducing APD elsewhere as other airport put pressure on the government to lower or abolish this iniquitous tax.

This will help the whole of the UK to be more competitive and drive business to and through Britain rather than away from it.

If Scotland then becomes more competitive and attracts more business / tourist traffic and DC refuses to budge for the rest of the UK, then good for Scotland I say, they deserve it!

VintageKrug
    Participant

It does seem sensible to move towards an LHR rate and a regional rate.

However, this would add significant complexity, and I wouldn’t trust the ScotsNats with any more revenue raising ability than is already the case.

Better to argue for APD’s abolition.

canucklad
    Participant

Morning VK………”and I wouldn’t trust the ScotsNats with any more revenue raising ability than is already the case”…… I could fall in to the trap of becoming defensive about your above comment……..

Regardless of your own political hue, the SNP are governing “God’s country” and have proven dependant on peoples own perceptions at least competent!

I would rather you read the above agreement/pact .between Papillion and myself and I’m sure the other Scotland based contributors would agree to abide by it as the referendum date gets closer……you will also notice I haven’t used the “ I “ word….

Anyway, you’re first point is intriguing and I will pose this question, why should I be penalised for living in Brentford or Ealing……so total abolition is definitely the way to go…..

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Yes….and with the up and coming big Vote also…YES-YES and YES

BigDog.
    Participant

It appears in the power devolution “proposal” (to be published tomorrow), Scotland will have powers over APD – setting the levels and receiving revenues.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/holyrood/413413/campaingers-on-the-brink-of-victory-over-unfair-air-passenger-duty-tax/

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/26/scottish-parliament-control-income-tax-welfare-spending

openfly
    Participant

Just announced…the Scots to dump APD.

Going to be interesting…..!

canucklad
    Participant

Morning openfly….not dumped yet, just devolved at some time in the future. SNP said they would scrap it, not sure if labour win the next election at Holyrood that they wont just tow the Westminster line.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls