Should airlines offer unlimited checked baggage?

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

I regularly use routes and carriers which offers what some like to call the aircraft valet service due to aircraft cabin size and the locker restrictions.

As a traveller who does not use the service but has either small hand luggage only or does check the luggage its immensely frustrating having to wait at the destination airport while they unload the valet luggage when you don’t have any. Obviously passengers are not allowed off the aircraft and wait around on the tarmac while this function is performed.

So how Ryan Air with its aggressive turn around times would cope if many of its passengers took up the option detailed on BT would be good to see.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

My main issue with this is the security queue time, which can be bad enough as it is with hand luggage only. Security is increasingly becoming centralised – e.g. no separate domestic security now at LHR T1 & GLA and plans for BHX as in the recent BT magazine article. So even if you’re not flying with Ryanair – a common scenario amongst this forum’s regulars! – but departing from an airport / terminal which it serves then you’re in for a long wait. Surely there would have to be a separate security channel for Ryanair passengers, or at least for those with hold luggage.

Or is there some other plan for checking the hold luggage?

Interesting that the current poll result is only around 2:1 against, I was expecting a big no vote. If I only ever used LHR and similar primary airports abroad then I wouldn’t care, but Ryanair is increasingly serving airports like EDI – often quoted on this forum for its efficient security. You could well need your anti-DVT socks on before the flight at this rate with all that standing around at security…

NTarrant
    Participant

I have travelled a number of times on Eastern Airways between SOU and LBA/NCL where even your lap top has to go in the hold due to the space. I suppose it depends on the number of passengers on board. Certainly my experience is that it is only a short delay if at all on these and on the plus side if you have a small trolley bag you don’t have to worry about finding a space.

But I agree that in the case of say a full 737 with each person with even one suitcase will take ages to go through security. What I wonder is are people like BAA really going to allow Ryanair passengers to mill around waiting for luggage on the tarmac. I can’t see the time saving really.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I would imagine that the only way it would work is if BAA insisted that Ryan Air had their own security channel – which had to be paid for – I can just imagine Mr O’L agreeing to that extra expenditure…..

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Imagine if it was a remote stand too, how many bus loads would they need. Hadn’t even thought of the arrival setup Nigel, hoards of holidaymakers at Tenerife etc carting hold luggage through passport control. And do you get a trolley to / from the aircraft? – ramp rash risk galore surely.

And what if it’s an airbridge – or is that an absolute non-starter if this goes ahead – do they have to negotiate the spiral staircase between the bridge and tarmac with case(s) in each hand then walk round the wing to get to the hold (and isn’t it usually accessed from the starboard side anyway?). Enough!!

Makes paying for the bogs sound positively logical.

NTarrant
    Participant

And here is another thought Jim, what if it is raining!!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Jim,

“Paying for the bogs”…….the best Freudian slip for a while on this Forum, my friend!

Cheers,

S

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Sadly not a typo though! I was referring to that other forthcoming exciting initiative from Ryanair involving the insertion of a €2 coin into the slot. Bad luck if your loose change all has the queen’s head on the back too…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

just seen the squirmy little man on Sky News. He makes Willy Walsh look positively proffessional and capable!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls