Shortest full service flight?

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

Capedoctor
    Participant

Flew from Athens to Mykonos on Aegean airlines this week. 20 minute flight. On the outward bound, managed to get hot cup of coffee. On the return flight, the drink trolley only managed to get 6 rows before the plane started descending.

Is there some sort of legal reason that they serve stuff; some strange EU directive which stops them being classified as a budget airline?

Also anyone know of any shorter flights( excluding helicopters)?

Delsurrey
    Participant

Yep I can beat that, Glasgow to Edinburgh all of 10 minutes if I recall. It was a scheduled service on BEA and I still have the ticket – £3 for a return but no in flight service! I think it was on a Viscount.

Capedoctor
    Participant

Outstanding! How far is it to drive? Any current ones with service?

Delsurrey
    Participant

I think probably about 45 minutes drive. No current service on this route, I think BEA operated the service London > Glasgow > Edinburgh > London.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

British Midland (the forerunner to Bmi) also operated EDI-GLA many moons ago and with a Viscount, if I remember correctly.

The routing was carried out for operational reasons, eg EMA-EDI-GLA-EMI, which would enable the carrier to serve two cities on the same rotation. It wasn’t seriously aimed at winning pax from surface transport. although you could book a ticket if you wished.

Edinburgh-Glasgow is about 50 miles. Takes over an hour by motorway, under an hour by train. Trains operate frequently.

No legal reason why any airline need “serve stuff” to passengers.

NTarrant
    Participant

The world’s shortest flight is operated by Loganair between Westray and Papa Westray in the Orkney’s. The time in the air is 2 minutes. There are no refreshments!

TominScotland
    Participant

Some of bmi’s Copenhagen services used to operate GLA-EDI-CPH and vv with a flying time of about 10-15 minutes between the two Scottish cities. Not sure if they sold tickets for the GLA – EDI leg, though and I doubt they attempted any form of catering service. Route now operates with non-stops from both cities.

I think the shortest international flight is between Anguilla and Nevis at about 12 miles but its questionable whether this operates as a scheduled or passenger charter flight. Any other ultra-short international routes?

lostsomewhere
    Participant

It was from Dubai to Abu Dhabi operated by Gulf Air and I think it took about 10 minutes

flying_sikh
    Participant

Bom-Goi 37 to 45 mins flying time. Jet Airways, Kingfisher Airline and Air India are the FSC’s operating this sector and provide a full hot meal appropriate to the time of the day on this route. Ixu-Bom operated by Jet used to get a full hot meal (dinner). total flight time is 45mins they dont serve it anymore as this flight is now being operated by Jet Konnect their low cost subsidiary. Air India till day serves a hot meal in J and a snack box in Y on this route.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls