Sheraton Bangkok, Royal Orchid

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

RoadKing
    Participant

1.5 days of my travel to Thailand was in Bangkok, as I have used Sheraton several times over the years in business, I decided to use Sheraton for the time in Bangkok also.

But it proved to be a disappointing experience.

First of all, and this is not exclusively about the Sheraton, but all hotels (as it is for airlines), it is so annoying that taxes for this and taxes for that are added on top of the charge. What is wrong giving you an exact price?

As for the Sheraton, I cannot believe that a hotel at that level can have so noisy rooms. We heard the fellow next door cough, we heard people walking by in the hall, and this room was a junior suite??? Believe me, I don’t hear that well either. The sound insulation in that hotel must be non existing.

It is also so annoying that hotels at this level believe they can screw their customers, just because they are a n star hotel.
    I had a desire for a beer, but a quick look at the minibar price list almost had me choke. They were charging almost $5 for a local beer that I could I could get in the 7 Eleven across the street for less than $1.

I had in mind to check in for the flight on the internet, but to do so in the hotel, I would have to pay the minimum charge of approximately $10, while if I walked down the street to the local internet cafe I would get away with approximately $.20

I understand that there are infrastructure costs and what not, but these prices are outright stealing. What is wrong with these guys, don’t they have any decency?

As I checked out the other night, I promised myself I would never ever stay at a Sheraton again, if I had another choice.

What Sheraton and others should keep in mind, is that we who use them pick them for the room, and pay extra for that, not to be recklessly robbed if we are so stupid to desire a beer or is in need of an extra service.

robdub
    Participant

I can’t agree more! What a fraud this hotel is. We recently ( December 17th ) booked in to stay there for a week. We lasted 6 hours. We stayed in a so called Executive Towers Room, wasn’t much better than a Motel 6 in Kansas City. There was drilling and construction, the room was the tiniest I have ever seen at this rate level and the air cond was not functioning properly. When you are up on the 40th level and can’t get fresh air it was appalling. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and will never stay there again. We changed to Centara Grand at Central World. Stunning. Brand New. Great service. Great rate and restaurants equal to the best in BKK. I am Starwood Gold and am reconsidering my membership. I thought it was only in Australia where hotels got away with this type of fraud. Apparently not.

acullimore
    Participant

If you are travelling anywhere in South East Asia, make sure you stay at a Shangri – La Hotel. Consistantly excelent in all aspects. Expensive but worth it.

OzTraveller
    Participant

I really dont understand why people stay in hotels at all these days. If a serviced apartment from Fraser, Marriott, etc. is available in town, check them out. Usually very competitive rates (vis a vis 5 star hotels) and you get a bedroom, separate sitting/living room, kitchen, laundry facilities plus gym, swim pool etc etc. I recently stayed in Bangkok at the Fraser Suites Sathorn and cannot recommend it highly enough. 24 hour security, 24 hour reception, an excellent full service restaurant and breakfast was included.

With so many newer hotels in Bangkok, I’m surprised that anyone would consider the Royal Orchid Sheraton. I agree, what a dump.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls