Shanghai – Hotels

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Anonymous

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

A new destination for me.

Will be attending an exhibition in the city (amongst other things) at the SNIEC but my boss would like to stay “close to the action” which I take to mean, tourist areas / bars / restaurants.

Since I’ve not been to Shanghai before, where would be the best district in which to take a hotel?

We usually use Marriott, Hilton or Radisson properties.

esselle
    Participant

I am a big fan of the Langham. Club rooms are very nice and, whilst not on the Bund, there are plenty of bars and restaurants nearby.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

The Hilton Shanghai is excellent, but be careful of the bars across the street!

The Westin is also pretty good.

Simon

cotswoldsw
    Participant

I’ve only ever stayed at the PuLi in JingAn but I think it’s a cracking hotel.

conc001
    Participant

If you will consider non chain hotels I suggest the grand central hotel. Very kind and professional staff and its a very nice looking hotel. Very close to nightlife as well.

SenatorGold
    Participant

I can highly recommend the Hyatt on the Bund. For a high rise experience there’s also the Grand Hyatt and the Park Hyatt but in Pudong.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

stayed in the Mecure Grand when I went (not sure how close to where you need to be)

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Hilton is looking to be the choice.

dodger10
    Participant

Hilton is a good choice, as my first few trips to Shanghai, I stayed there.

I think one thing you need to consider in Shanghai is where you need to be for your meetings etc. Especially with your boss. Unless you have a car and a chauffer to get around, getting taxis in Shanghai can be a nightmare. Getting from Pudong to Puxi can be a nightmare during rush hour.

I have tried the Park Hyatt, Meridan, and Ascott Residence, all very good

IanFromHKG
    Participant

All good recommendations, but for some olde worlde charm you should consider the (Fairmont) Peace Hotel – it even has its own museum!

AlohaHonolulu
    Participant

Westin Shanghai’s very centrally located – and the owner’s suite very hard to beat. I regularly stay at the Ascott Xintiandi which is a fully serviced apartment. Its location can’t be beat. For new & hip, try the Andaz down the block — also walking distance to Xintiandi.

lcpteck
    Participant

The Langham at Xintiandi is a really nice hotel, at least the corner room was. Unfortunately their 1865 loyalty program is a lackluster.

PHOTOS
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcpteck/collections/72157644237529217/

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Have just returned from the Grand Hyatt, on the Pudong side. Can thoroughly recommend.

Superb views from my room on 71st floor towards the river, and plenty of things to do, as such, within walking distance of the hotel. Though it was particularly cold. However, at least the smog wasn’t so evident!

Great swimming pool, gym, hot tubs with views on 57th floor and bar on 84th floor. For fans of Skyfall, I believe Bond swimming and drinking at the bar were filmed at this hotel.

drdouglas
    Participant

Hotel Indigo on The Bund has always been a great place to stay with excellent staff, stylish touches and fantastic views.

Alas ‘Skyfall Shanghai’ was mainly Pinewood Studios and parts of Central London & Ascot Racecourse.

The swimming pool is to be found at The Four Seasons at Canary Wharf; http://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/product/four-seasons-hotel-london-canary-wharf-london-uk

Sorry to shatter any illusions of 007 in The Exotic East but The Four Seasons is very nice for a Martini or two; obviously shaken and not stirred!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls