Serving Prime Minister flying long haul economy – strange or expected?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Love him or hate him – Boris seems to be setting an example, even if it was a personal trip. Can you imagine Trump even being on a commercial airliner….? Have you ever seen any other European leader or senior politician in LONG HAUL economy?

Just as a reminder, Corbyn’s floor seat on a train some years back, was publicity driven….(he chose the floor over an empty seat).

I know members of the Royal Family have been pictured flying SHORT HAUL economy, but who have you seen in LONG HAUL economy, you would have expected not to be in the back?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7832423/Prime-Minister-girlfriend-Carrie-Symonds-help-taxpayers-flying-British-Airways-economy.html

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1221837/boris-johnson-carrie-symonds-british-airways-election-holiday-st-lucia-brexit

w8ster
    Participant

How does Dailymail somehow link this to saving Tax payers money? Its a private holiday, tax payers should not be contributing a single penny whether he goes Economy or Business?

2 users thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

On official business i’d expect a senior government official to fly J.

I carried one of the senior royals to the US east coast many years ago. It was a working trip for him and he was departing LHR in the AM, arriving on the US east coast early afternoon, presenting an award, then flying back to LHR overnight the same night. He and his party were booked in J. And rightly so, it seemed a pretty brutal work schedule.

I’ve also carried the ex-wife of a senior royal (twice) who despite her very public financial woes always travels F although this isn’t out of the public purse of course.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=984506]Its a private holiday, tax payers should not be contributing a single penny whether he goes Economy or Business?[/quote]

Exactly, I’ve heard of slow news story days, but this is a definite snails pace day. As Boris himself would say …….Wiff Waff yarnish hokum bokum whaaa!

SimonS1
    Participant

This is all spin and no substance. It is a private holiday, and Boris is perfectly wealthy enough to pay for business flights if he wanted. On the other hand I suppose “Prime Minister flies business class on holiday” does not have quite the same media attraction.

Didn’t ‘Call Me Dave’ use Easyjet and Ryanair when PM as part of his efforts to look like a man of the people? Now having instigated our departure from the EU he prefers to look like the invisible man.

1 user thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Of course his American ladyfriend would have been able to pay for seats up front out of the 100 grand he got her..

capetonianm
    Participant

I would have no respect for anyone in the public eye who used Ryanair.
    As for BJ flying economy, I’m a bit mystified. He doesn’t need to score points now that the election is over, and personally I would have more respect for him if he had elected to fly Premium or Business, as befits his status.

openfly
    Participant

He probably booked it months ago, not expecting to win the election!!

capetonianm
    Participant

He probably booked it months ago, not expecting to win the election!!

Then he could have exercised his option to upgrade, having won the election.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

No matter the political party in power, I don’t think a British PM should fly Economy. They have won power, they are the elected leader of our country, I think they should travel, personal or private, in a premium cabin even at taxpayers expense. There is no leader I can think of in Europe (apart from Switzerland for private trips) that would fly Economy, most fly in a private jet provided by their Air Force as befits their status. I may be in a minority here, but it’s what I think.

6 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=984578][/postquote]

Amongst UK taxpayers you would definitely be in the minority. After many years of austerity there aren’t many of us who fancy funding the PM’s holiday travel.

Also after the MPs expenses scandal of a few years back I think the media storm might be quite unpleasant.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Reading the Express article…. BA does not have seating configuration of 2 by the window in a 777. He went Premium economy.

Gold-2K
    Participant

[postquote quote=984694][/postquote]

The Gatwick 777 fleet have three rows of 2 seats next to the window in cattle class at the back of the plane. Looks like BoJo is sitting just in front of the toilet ….. seems apt to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=984553]Then he could have exercised his option to upgrade, having won the election.[/quote]

Sadly he’s only BA Bronze and was down the list. Aspiring to be Gold in 2020. Like his hair.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=984694][/postquote]

Yes they do, and no he didn’t.

Row 39 on 777-200ER with F and 42-44 on the planes without F. That is where he is sat (row 44), the article says right at the back and you can see the toilet wall behind him.

The seats in PE are nothing like that, nor is their a toilet at the back of PE.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls