Security checks on arrival at Changi for all BKK flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Anonymous

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

I regularly travel to Singapore from Bangkok and use both Thai and Singapore Airlines. About 6 months ago Changi airport security began “random” security checks on arrival for flights from BKK.

These checks are the full monty…….same as you encounter when boarding an aircraft and they are a real pain because you are not prepared for these checks on arrival and have to go through all the same procedures – laptops out of bags, remove all metal etc. This adds significantly to the time taken to get to the baggage hall.

At first I thought it was only for Thai Airways but I have been subjected to these security checks on every occasion now, arriving on both SQ and Thai.

Does anybody know the reason for these checks? The security staff are unable (or more likely unwilling, knowing Singapore!) to shed any light and nor can it be explained by Airport Information. I have never seen these checks in operation for any other flights arriving at Changi.

Is it because the Changi authorities don’t trust the quality of the security checks at BKK? Although, surely the fact that the aircraft has landed safely would negate these concerns…….so what’s the reason for them?

Prof.Gupta
    Participant

This has happened with me as well from flights from India on last two occasions that I have travelled to Singapore. Once it was on SQ and second time on Qantas. I am told the flights are being picked at random (for such security checks). The checked-in baggage also goes through X-ray screening before arriving on belts or arriving in Jet Quay lounge (as experienced by me). Worst is that when a flight gets selected for such arrival security, for a large part of walk after coming out of aerobridge, one can not use the travellators (as all the passengers are made to walk through a secured walk way). The security checks were efficient and quick but the stress due to unexpected encounter was certainly there.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls