Security alert in Brussels, restrictions at airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• Bullfrog
    Participant

The contrast of a Paris atrocity vs an atrocity in Istanbul & Mali, is all about ‘expectation’ & reality, and the response of our beloved media.

For example, I’ve got two sisters, one who will always react aggressively to what ever is said to her by anyone, and the other is gentle & calm. So when the aggressive sister resorts to her usual antics, it’s what the family expect .. but when the calm sister reacts, we’re all surprised !

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Passengers taking high-speed international trains (not Eurostar) from Brussels Midi and Antwerp can no longer simply “turn up and go.”

They must now arrive at least 30 mins before departure. Note that this a bare minimum so if you have to collect tickets, find your way to the correct platform you will need to allow another 20 mins or so …in other words, 50 mins in total.

Eurostar has its own advance check-in procedures which are separate from the above information.

http://www.rtbf.be/info/belgique/detail_les-passagers-thalys-et-tgv-doivent-arriver-une-demi-heure-a-l-avance-en-gare?id=9145446&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

FDOS_UK
    Participant

dutchyankee
    Participant

I am not sure I agree with the entire premise of the Media not reporting the atrocities in other locations. The bombing of the MetroJet Airliner was headline news for near on two weeks. The atrocities in Paris of course knocked this story off the headlines, but any additional information was reported when received, such as when VVP finally agreed it was a bomb that brought the plane down. The situation in Mali was tougher as no international journalists of note were present but I see CNN and BBC have sent reporters in Bamako, and since then , the situation has been reported on continually. All the events be it Paris, Brussels, two AF plane diversions, Mali, a TK plane diversion have been reported on under the overall header of the Paris attacks, but I think we can all say that the attacks in Paris receive a stronger reaction as these attacks are directly against the west, and are therefore more relevant to western media. Living in Russia, I can assure you the news on Paris is no where near as expansive as that of MetroJet nor of the recent visit of VVP to Iran. Paris and Brussels take a back seat to that news, so the bias is likewise regional.

Charles-P
    Participant

‘FDOS_UK’ – thanks for posting that. A very interesting analysis.

As somebody who travels and does business in the entire Middle East region (including Israel) I have certainly become more educated about the history of the region and the post Colonial legacy. As somebody raised in Africa who had all the benefits of Colonialism and Apartheid I fully understand the resentment that has driven the establishment of the groups we see today.

Bullfrog
    Participant

‘FDOS_UK’ .. thank you for sharing. I will go and read the article now. It’s 04,20 here on the East Coast, so time for a quiet read.

The demise of the Ottoman Empire, a hundred years ago, carved up mainly by the British and the French is what we’re experiencing today .. coupled with dreadful foreign policy of the US & Western governments.

Charles-P
    Participant

I see the advice from the US State department today to American citizens is in a nutshell, “everywhere is dangerous”. Thanks – really useful

dutchyankee
    Participant

BullFrog +1

Charles-P, as a dual national, it is thanks to stupidity such as what you just quoted from the US State Department that I feel much safer using my Dutch passport everywhere. If the US realise ‘everywhere is dangerous’ for US citizens, maybe they will one day realise this is thanks to their own misguided policies? Perhaps wishful thinking on my part.

Charles-P
    Participant

‘dutchyankee’ Yes I can understand your frustration. I gave up with the stupid government warnings some time ago and now we use a private security company based in London who provide me with a daily briefing on the world plus a detailed regional and country breakdown on request for when one of us travels. Of course we pay for this but I know it is accurate, informed and relevant.

I travel the world on a British passport but have the right to apply for a Zimbabwean one, I’m seriously considering it !

dutchyankee
    Participant

Thanks Charles-P, I use SOS as an advisory, and as you, I pay for it, but am always sure the info I receive is unbiased and accurate. It is no wonder the un-informed US traveller (not the regular US frequent traveller) tends to be so paranoid with such warnings going around all the time. If I believed everything I was told or warned about, I would never leave the house!

Bullfrog
    Participant

‘FDOS_UK’, thank you for shari the Independent’s article. It echoed my thoughts about the demise of the Ottoman Empire.

Fisk fails to mention the American involvement in the mid 50s in Iran whereby the Mousadek was overthrown, and the Shah established as Persian leader.

What a mess !

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls