Second Passport advice needed please

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

You can apply for a UK passport 9 months in advance of the expiry and those months will be added to the new passport.
    When a passport is cancelled for renewal, the visas inside remain valid (unless expired) and I’ve traveled most of West and central Africa with multiple entry visas that remained valid despite the expired passport. ( cannot speak for the US or elsewhere though).

I’ve found, and again this is from a personal point of view, when you call the embassy to ask they may so no, as happened with me, but due to lack of time I went anyway and had no problem at all. Same recently with South Africa when I called, but for the last 18 months Mrs. LP and youngest boy have been doing just that, old expired passport with permit and new passport no permit.

As a matter of interest, I just applied for a new British passport, normal service, and from the passport office receiving our application last Wednesday, we had the new passports in hand this past Wednesday, so exactly one week despite the website saying 4 – 6 weeks. Impressive.

handbag
    Participant

I have an old expired passport with my US Visas in and a current passport. I always show both when entering US for either business or pleasure.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=870637]don’t worry, they (UK) are allowed to have two, let him through[/quote]

We are indeed. Little Bruvver had two when he was visiting dodgy countries that had a habit of claiming your visa was invalid and that a ‘fine’ would be needed to smooth the way.

Some guy tried this on him in Azerbaijan, and refused to return the passport. LB just shrugged and walked away. Cue look of astonishment on scammer’s face.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

I have had a second passport for almost 20 years as, back in the day, it was difficult to get even a 1 year China Visa, let alone a 2 year Visa. Now I have 10 years.

A few years ago I flew on an easyJet flight to Luton and had my passport ready on the seat next to me as I wanted to rush through immigration and off to car hire and a meeting in Luton. Approached immigration and realised that I had left my passport on the empty seat. As I had my second passport with me I went through to my meeting, deciding to collect my misplaced passport later. Back to the airport a few hours later to easyJet Lost & Found who told me that they had carried my passport to the gate, as they assumed I would be there looking worried. Explained about the second passport, and they told me that they had handed the passport to the Immigration office to which they directed me. Went there, and asked about my passport, to which the young lady said, “Yes, we have a passport handed in by easyJet. Do you have any form of identification?” Me: “I think that you will find that the photo in the passport looks a lot like me:-)” “Oh, yes. Here is your passport”

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=870689]I currently have 2 UK passports. One is used primarily for travel to USA and Canada, and is kept clean. Also used for EU trips where no stamps are applied. My other well worn is my Visa passport, sent off for visas, and for visits to middle east or other such places. Used this once at Eurotunnel, and a keen eyed police officer noted my Saudi visa, he did not see until told it was an invite from MOD in Saudi. I am sure a US officer would make more of it if inclined.[/quote]

The US Customs are not in the slightest bit interested. One of my passports is full of Saudi stamps and it has never been of interest to them. If they are interested in you it will have been flagged a long time before you reach the desk.

nevereconomy
    Participant

For onthehomerun – just out of interest, what country would one visit to render a UK passport ‘unclean’ for the US and Canada ?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=870758]For onthehomerun – just out of interest, what country would one visit to render a UK passport ‘unclean’ for the US and Canada ?[/quote]

The only one I can think of is Iran, but I’m not sure??

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=870776]

For onthehomerun – just out of interest, what country would one visit to render a UK passport ‘unclean’ for the US and Canada ?

The only one I can think of is Iran, but I’m not sure??[/quote]

AFAIK the list requiring a formal visa, rather than ESTA/visa waiver is

Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria or Yemen on or after 1 March 2011, but there are some exceptions (which I do not know).

Agamemnon
    Participant

Like others on here, I’ve had two passports for many years – it’s very easy to do. In the cases where my US visa was in an old out-dated passport, I’ve travelled with that too and never had a problem accessing the US.

As others have said, it’s worth remembering which one has the ESTA and also making a note of different past visas too. My current two have two different types of business visas for China in them, so I always make sure to keep them separate depending on which type I’m applying for on that particular visit.

The same goes for free pages as well, as my oldest one, despite being a 48-pager, only has about 5-6 completely clear pages on with about three years left, so I tend to use that solely for Europe, to try and avoid filling it up. Places like China or South Africa need at least one (or possibly two, I can’t quite remember), entirely blank pages to process their respective visas.

Johnnyg
    Participant

As per advice I spoke to the SL High Commission who said there was no need for a letter from them as it is standard procedure. The RAM check in staff at LHR were fine with me showing 2 passports and so were the transit security at Casablanca. When I arrived at Freetown I was through in less than 10 mins. I didn’t even have to do the fingerprint scanner as I was on the system from my previous trips here. Getting out of the country will also be a breeze. I hope.

Jenni Reid
    Keymaster

I’m sure most of our forum posters are familiar with the process, but just sharing the step-by-step guide to applying for a second passport we’ve just updated in case some find it helpful. Let me know if there’s anything you think we should add

How to apply for a second UK passport

1 user thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

Like many I have run 2 passports (UK) and one Israeli for many years now! I rarely take my Israeli passport with me as it would give me issues in many of the countries I visit but always carry 2 UK passports. As a resident of Singapore I have one that is associated with my e entry and exit and the other is used for all other countries in Asia. The only issue for me is that I go through a 70 page passport in about 1 year only as the stamps especially in Indonesia almost take up one page.

The new way of going on line, sending a passport photo on line, arranging a specific time in the PO in London and when in London basically go and pick up a new one is excellent and is far better than many other countries…. And they are fully aware and understand the requirement for 2 passports and I have never had an issue

1 user thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Well these days, it could be a quite useful option for British citizens, to have one EU and one non-EU British passport…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Question – whilst clearly there is a reason for a person to apply for 2 passports, can any one provide a comment as to whether its legal to enter a country on one passport and leave on another, especially as the second passport may be from another country?

penfold69
    Participant

When leaving the UK, you don’t give them your passport, so they wouldn’t know what passport you are leaving on. I’m guessing it’s only used on entry, but not totally sure. You do give airlines passport info when checking in, but to my knowledge, that is sent to the country you are about to enter and not the departing government, although this could vary between countries.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls