Sebastian Conran’s Fantastic New Concorde Nose Sculpture

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Wow! I hadn’t seen this before, but it really is impressive:

http://www.m-tec.uk.com/concorde-nose-sculpture.html

Racegoers on corporate junkets at Ascot will be able to see it up close this summer, apparently.

Wouldn’t it make a terrific cover shot for BT’s summer issue…?

http://www.ascot.co.uk/sites/default/files/documents/ICON%20The%20Launch%20of%20a%20Legend%20at%20Royal%20Ascot.pdf

This would be a perfect candidate for the Fourth Plinth, though I think a French Cock is going up soon.

superchris
    Participant

Francois Hollande??

VintageKrug
    Participant

You said it!

I’m actually a huge fan of M Hollande and his Communists; he’s doing so much harm in France that all the money and good people are racing over to exile in London and it’s having a very positive effect here!

Sadly, it look like the cock may run fowl (sic) of planning objections:

http://now-here-this.timeout.com/2013/05/13/cock-a-doodle-dont-new-fourth-plinth-sculpture-runs-into-trouble/

Like the article’s author, I’m all for the cock being erected, myself.

Papillion53
    Participant

VK – naughty step now! 😉 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The sculpture deserves a far better home than the Fourth Plinth and why the unveiling at Ascot.

The 2 pictures posted are interesting. The first, showing a profile view, doesnt quite do it justice and i couldnt see 5 tonnes of steel being used in the process.

However, the more detailed views show exactly how impressive the sculpture presents the iconic Concorde.

It is not only stunning but it reflects what UK PLC can achieve. It deserves a very big stage and something more serious than the Fourth Plinth.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Where would you have it put up, MS?

It would look perfect in the T5 Check in area as a Temporary Exhibit. Much better than the dross they insist on putting that little naff gallery space behind Club checkin, certainly.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Would probably start with the MoMA in NYC; to remind Americans that a superior force to them, designed and built an iconic supersonic passenger aircraft – they just killed it !

Then I would dispatch the Emirates A380 at the entrance to Heathrow & display the artwork for all to see.Only problem, I havent worked out who I can send the bill for the rent to…………… :))

HongKongLady
    Participant

Sorry I don’t like this, a little too contrived and predictable for me in a boys and toys Airfix wayBut I do often like some of the stuff in ‘the naff gallery space in T5 🙂

canucklad
    Participant

Didn’t like it at first……But as I’m a boy who had Airfix as a boy , and as we all know .HK lady, men are just boys who’ve grown older it has grown on me…… : )

I sadly rescued my 144th scale CP Air DC-8 from the bin when clearing my old house back in Vancouver……now proudly displayed in the spare room….the lounge would have been a step to far….

VK…4th plinth yes i agree …..my preferred choice…Right outside Westminster to remind our politicians how great…Great Britain can be..!

Or even better, a permanent display in Filton town centre !

And VK, not going to hijack you’re thread but you’ve given me an idea for my Friday thread topic.. …..

HongKongLady
    Participant

Canucklad 🙂 lets just say your 144th scale CP Air DC 8 is an old friend and as such should be treated as one and I agree the spare room is most suitable.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls