Seattle to Tel Aviv via London on business class – need suggestions!

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• MarkivJ
    Participant

Good morning BT!

I’ve used BA Club World on my last 2 trips from SEA to TLV (with stopovers in London). For my upcoming Sept trip, I’d like to try other airlines and need some advice. I will need to stop over in the UK for a few days.

1. Seattle <-> London: I’m considering Virgin Atlantic’s new non-stop 789 service to Seattle. I read the reviews of Upper Class and would like to try it. I would prefer at least this leg be non stop.

2. London <-> Tel Aviv: My prelim research shows me that most western EU carriers fly small body (737s, etc.) to TLV. The wide body ones I found were operated by BA (777, 789) and Swiss (A330). I’m not too keen on Turkish.

Seeing as I’m flying business, I’d like to have a full-on business experience (flat beds, etc.) and don’t know how much of that I can get in a narrow body aircraft. So with that said, I’m considering Swiss from LHR to TLV (via ZRH). I really wanted to try KLM but looks like it’s small bodies from both LHR and TLV.

Any other options?

I’d prefer to fly airlines of the 3 major alliances just so I can get points. I can purchase 2 separate tickets too and fly with diff alliances.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I’m not too keen on Turkish

It’s worth remembering that flights from Istanbul to London fall under the UK electronics ban.

Just an off the wall suggestion, have you considered Air Canada via Toronto? Not a bad business class and Pearson is an easy transfer airport – much better than LHR.

I haven’t flown Swiss on this route and it’s been a few years since I’ve flown Swiss long haul, but I did like the lie flat seats on the A330, which were the same as installed on the BA mid haul A321 (ex bmi). Service was always top class. ZRH is an easy transfer, too.

Edited to add: The European airlines narrow bodies are not necessarily the same across the fleets. Iberia have a mid-haul sub fleet that features 2×2 deep recliners (quite adequate for a 5 hour flight, IMO).

MarkivJ
    Participant

Thanks for the advice.
    1. I have to stop over in London (work meetings) so whilst I’d love to try out Air Canada’s J class, that won’t be an option for me.
    2. I checked KLM: they don’t have the friendliest flight timings to TLV, and they fly a 737-900 (with what appears like a Club Europe type BA “seat”)

So options for me from LHR – TLV are either Swiss or, well, back to BA’s dreamliner!

canucklad
    Participant

I’m presuming EL AL is not an option, because they’re a non aligned carrier?
    Not sure how close or viable YVR is for you, but if BA becomes the most convenient option, BA flies the 380 to YVR, so might be worth a consideration

MarkivJ
    Participant

Hi Canuck, thanks for your tips. I didn’t read very good reviews of El Al, and yes, they’re non-aligned and hence avoiding them.

My tickets are booked! For both trips, I’ll be flying VS’s 789 from SEA to LHR.
    From London:
    – for the August trip, I’ll fly BA’s 789 non-stop to TLV
    – For the Sept trip, I’ll fly Swiss’s A330 (LHR – ZRH – TLV)

This will be my first ever on both VS and LX so I’m really looking forward to both. That VS Upper Class looks like a big upgrade over BA’s 2-4-2 Club World!

Bullfrog
    Participant

VS’s 789 Upper is very good in terms of seat / bed. I’m 6’2″ tall and find the bed great for sleeping, although the window seats facing inwards is a little odd.

I believe El Al are part of One World, so not sure if that’s what you meant by ‘non aligned’.

BA’s 8am departure from LHR to TLV is well timed, but I’d avoid any late night departures from LHR to TLV, as that ‘red eye’service allows for very little sleep.

Likewise with Swiss, the 3am arrival into TLV and 5am return departure are not ideal times.

Safe travelling ..

openfly
    Participant

El Al…..One World….nope!

MarkivJ
    Participant

[quote quote=815800]VS’s 789 Upper is very good in terms of seat / bed. I’m 6’2″ tall and find the bed great for sleeping, although the window seats facing inwards is a little odd.

I believe El Al are part of One World, so not sure if that’s what you meant by ‘non aligned’.

BA’s 8am departure from LHR to TLV is well timed, but I’d avoid any late night departures from LHR to TLV, as that ‘red eye’service allows for very little sleep.

Likewise with Swiss, the 3am arrival into TLV and 5am return departure are not ideal times.

Safe travelling ..

[/quote]

thanks for the great feedback and advice.

1. Yes, I’ve taken the BA redeye and I won’t do it again. it landed late once, it was 330a when I checked into my hotel in Herzliya and was awful. No sleep that night, and the next day was screwed as well.
    2. I’m taking the 1030a Swiss departure that lands in TLV at 330p. I was afraid it was a codeshare on El-Al metal but I checked their website and it’s Swiss A330.

Airtravel104
    Participant

I find that BA passengers behave better than most, partly because the staff goes about doing their work without excessive chatting, or fake, obsequious politeness. Whatever it is, even the children who travel on BA Business or premium seem to behave better. On a long haul it is a consideration who you are flying with.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls