Seating on BA001/2

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

• GordyUK
    Participant

thanks JohnnyFox… my only real concern is that we don’t get a pair of seats together . If the menu choices are done by status and the flight is full then i’m probably also screwed 😉

LondonAndy70
    Participant

I’ve experienced quite a number of seats on this service, and they are all pretty good. I really wouldn’t pay £300 to select them in advance of check-in. You may want to check the threads on that other website (F**erT**k) to see what others have said….

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I’ve flown in 2A & 6K outbound from LCY and 3A inbound. Headed back to LCY next Thursday in Row 7.

I honestly can’t see any difference the aircraft is so small when compared to the more usual 777 or 747.

The menu choice is definately by ‘status’ – both times, I was approached to make my meal choice even before we got to Shannon which I presumed was due to GGL status.
    On the return to LCY, dinner is taken in the lounge prior to boarding.

RonBrown
    Participant

I went for row 7, empty seats 24 hours ahead, and had the whole row to myself, not worth spending £300 to reserve seats, that is just daylight robbery!

DerekVH
    Participant

BA LCY/JFK flights are operated by Heathrow flight crew but Gatwick cabin crew so there is no CSD but a cabin manager. There are only 4 cabin crew so how someone could disappear for the entire flight seems strange. I flew in 1A which the BA system allocated automatically (I am BA silver) but any preference to gold card holders was not prevelant on my flights (Unless there were none on board). Everyone is asked for their main meal selection on route to Shannon simply as it saves time. The service and entire experience was outstanding.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

DerekVH.

1. He introduced himself to me as Cabin Service Director.
    2. My reference on another thread about the CSD being non existent, clearly refers to a flight from LHR TO JFK.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

2 more points to add.

Last night’s flight into LCY was headed by a “Purser” – not sure what that means?

Seating on the sleeper service – Do NOT choose 8K.
    If you want to sleep, this seat is no good for you. Directly in front of the toilet and the flush, as we all know, is very noisy. I was kept awake all last night.

AviationGeek
    Participant

Mr. AviationGeek and I chose 1A&B for our flight on BA001 in March. The flight was only half full (16 passengers) and we had 3 cabin crew incl. the SCCM.
    They could not have been lovelier, more attentive, approachable and quiet (galley noise etc). I was rather poorly on what was supposed to be a very special flight (we were on our way to our wedding) and from the moment we stepped on board (from check in at LCY really) staff couldn’t do enough for us while being discreet and professional when required and it felt like being on a private jet.
    Due to JFK being closed to snow we had to divert and again it showed that the care and attention to customer service and being proactive was a big step above “normal” Club World.

GordyUK
    Participant

so.. for those of you still remotely interested in my #firstworldproblems – the flight is in less than 2 weeks and already only 7A/B and 8A/B/J/K are left

I’m now in the “stressful” situation of wanting/buying 7A/B for £150 or chancing being in the back by the toilets or worse, unable to travel together..

I’m assuming this type of route is loaded with Golds who have claimed all the seating as part of their status – at booking..

What to do……

CXDiamond
    Participant

Gordy, look at expertflyer.com and search for your flight, BA IME often block lots of seats for golds that are never taken up, expertflyer will show you the truth of the seat map and you can see how many are taken v.s how many are blocked. Once you are wiser make your decision about whether to pay the extortionate fee for booking a seat and remember that no other airline would charge a business class passenger for a seat reservation!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

If you are on a flex ticket, you could also look at changing and going with Lingus via DUB.

Very nice Irish service (in a complimentary sense) and the same pre-clearance at Dublin.)

And you can choose your seats for free.

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Hi
    I agree with CXDiamond. Look it up on expertflyer. The back row is still not a disaster, three toilets between 32 pax on a daylight flight??? but, if you are now unable to sleep with worry, pay for the seats. I wouldn’t.
    Let us all know how it goes.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I wouldn’t pay for the seats despite my earlier comments about the noise of the loo flushing. IF you really need to sleep well, It’s a damn sight cheaper to buy some ear plugs.

I had a meeting to attend 1.5 hours after landing and sleep was important but sadly lacking….

I am on the same journey in a couple of weeks and have chosen mid section seats for both sectors.

R6biker
    Participant

I wish they would make an announcement about the toilets on these flights though. I’ve watched so many people walk down from the front to use the one at the rear when the ones at the front are empty.

Maybe the closed curtain confuses them?

mkcol74
    Participant

@GordyUK – please put us out our misery & let us know if you’ve checked the space on expertflyer, if you’ve relented and paid the whopping reservation fee or not!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls