Seating on BA001/2

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

• Anonymous

GordyUK
    Participant

do any of you flying elite have a preference or suggestion for the LCY-JFK service? I’m fairly familiar with all my favourite seats on 777s, 747s & A380s but this business shuttle is a new one for me. Seating sites dont really have much to say on this route. Are they really all the same?

Usually faced with this, i’d just go for row 1 on the basis service will start from here, but one review i read, the pax had the whole last row to himself

i realise this falls into #firstworldproblems but as i dont have enough status with BAEC to book these for free, i thought id ask before blowing £300 on seat reservations

thanks

mkcol74
    Participant

I don’t travel on the minibus until the end of July but opted for row 2 so that I’d be less likely to be disturbed by any galley/lavatory comings & goings (noise, light).
    Luckily I have CX gold status which allowed me to reserve at no cost. I sure as heck wouldn’t pay though – rather have that sort of money in my pocket.
    I’d be interested to hear others experiences of seating.

Stamford777
    Participant

My wife and I took this flight two years ago and sat in Row 5. There was a persistent audible whine which I complained about thinking it was engine noise. The cabin crew got the co-pilot out and he acknowledged the problem and said it most likely emanated from the air conditioning pack which was below that row. He also said it was a known Airbus problem.Oddly, the noise could hardly be heard in Row 4 and not at all in Row 3. I don’t know if this is still an issue but I will certainly avoid Row 5 if I take this flight again. Apart from that everything else on the flight was excellent.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Agreed, row 2 or 3 is fine (mainly to avoid engine noise the further you go back).

I always enjoy this flight more than any other BA normal J trans Atlantic.

It actually feels like a “Club”

Pre clearence is also a time saver and gives peace of mind of not having a long Q in immigration.

Enjoy!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I would strongly recommend mid cabin. The 318 is designed with weight in consideration, and this means the carpet padding is thin to say the least. If you have a clumpy (heavy footed) cabin crew, you will want to: be seated where you are likely to be least disturbed.

Do not take rows 1 or 2!!

SGJNI1961
    Participant

I flew 001 a few weeks ago. I was in 1A and had no problems whatsoever but there were only 14 pax on board so everything was quiet and it is a daylight flight. If I was going the other way, I think I would prefer to be a little further back but to be honest there really isn’t a “bad” seat on the whole aircraft. If avoiding row 1 for noise then also avoid row 8. I am not aware of the problem at row 5 described above. I would also think long and hard about paying £300 to select seats, is it really worth it?????

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I have flown this route recently and will do so again next Wednesday morning.
    I went out (LCY to JFK) & back in 2A & can think of no issues that would have caused me to make any changes.

I have booked out in 2A again & will return in 7B because I want an isle seat on the sleeper service (BA04) & the back 3 rows were empty last time.

GGL list status means free of charge seating choice I’m happy to say because I would refuse the silly prices BA have recently decided to charge.

GordyUK
    Participant

thank you all for your posts so far.

i agree £300 is a bit steep , but if its the difference between enjoying the flights or sulking because of noisy air conditioning, thin carpets, disruption etc, then its a no brainer..

at the moment, BA001 has some in row1 & 2 taken and BA002 is wide open.. but the flights aren’t till October and worst case, we’d end up with 1A & 8K 😉

Stamford777
    Participant

The co-pilot did say that the aircon noise was cured by servicing so it could be that Row 5 is not permanently impaired.

StephenLondon
    Participant

As a frequent user of this service, I tend to opt for either row 1 (usually 1K on the overnight BA2/BA4 returns from JFK) or rows 6 or 7 (on the day flight out).

I pick the starboard side on the way BA1/BA3 outbound from LCY, as I like to look out of the window at some of the magnificent scenery (route dependant, of course) as well as keep cool on a flight (the port side outbound gets hot due to the sun). I’ve been served from the aft galley, so get fed roughly the same time as those in rows 2 or 3. Often, all of row 8 is empty, which makes for a very pleasant flight.

Crew have always been super, and (having taken the flight frequently) they are a small sub-crew from LGW base, and they get to know their regular passengers, which makes for a more personal and fun experience. Ditto some of the flight deck crew.

On the overnight, most passengers go right to sleep. In fact, I’ve seen some of the regulars tut-tut the one-offs who desire soup to nuts with champers, as it causes noise and odour in the cabin. Crew are pretty good in allowing you to change into more comfy sleepwear in the aft galley (it saves bruising yourself in the tiny bathrooms) by pulling the curtain whilst you change. Nice touch.

GreggyR
    Participant

We took BA1 last November. A very pleasant flight. There was 4 of us so we did pre-pay for all of row 2. I was very happy with my seat (2K). We flew back via LHR so didn’t experience the service back to LCY.
    The Times compared the BA1 service with the new Luton Biz class airline earlier this week I believe.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I would also add that you should head directly to Gate 24 once you are through security at LCY.
    There is a small but nicely presented BA ‘lounge’ within the gate area (where i am sitting now as it happens) which I don’t think is particularly well advertised If you are not aware of it)

GordyUK
    Participant

thank you all.. I’ll keep an eye on it and if it looks like the flight is selling out, i’ll take the hit on the seat charges

JohnnyFox
    Participant

Actually service on BA1/2/3/4 is bizarre – it is done strictly in accordance with your BAEC/OneWorld status, so the Golds/Special Services get menu choice before the Silver/Blues etc and the purser is darting round the cabin like an angry wasp trying to fill in her galley form.

Apart from being by the toilet, I quite like the rear of the cabin, rows 7 or 8 – if the flight is not full that’s where the spare seats tend to be.

If you’re booked on the LCY-JFK service you’re in full intercontinental business class so it’s outrageous if it doesn’t come with seat selection but I certainly wouldn’t pay extra for it. Nowhere on the A318 is much worse than any other – you’re still dependent on who’s in the adjacent seat because it’s side-by-side not head-to-toe like the main fleet planes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls