Seat width on BA 787-9s

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

trident3
    Participant

Times (27Aug) reports BA 789’s will have17.3 inch wide Y seats, compared with 16.7 inch on 788’s.

Mind you, can you trust an article that states Lufthansa B777-200’s have 18.2inch width? Anyone seen one of these mythical beasts ? Rarer that a ‘fact-checking journo’ (rant over)

GrahamSmith

Story was broken by Business Traveller six days ago:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/ba-b787-9-to-offer-wider-economy-seat

trident3
    Participant

My post was more of a pop at Times journalism really….a pet peeve of mine !.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I am glad you bought this up actually Trident3.

As I have mentioned on other threads, I was on a BA 788 a couple of months ago. I was fortunate to be in W/Y+, which I think is a very decent seat. But I did go back to try the Economy seat, and thought it was THE most uncomfortable aircraft seat I have EVER sat in.

I would go out of my way to avoid this aircraft in economy (me paying) and I know I am not alone, as the 9 across is very tight, and remember the aircraft was designed, even conceived, as an 8 across in Y aircraft.

But when spoke with the crew, they confirmed lots of passengers had commented on it, and was told that the 789 would likely have an inch extra leg room, to help make it more bearable and to show that they were “listening”

Now the fact that BA have not announced this feature tells me that they have changed their mind, as they felt that they could announce that each seat would be 12 mm wider..

Well this “extra width” does not make me change my mind about the desirability of this aircraft, which is a pity as one does notice the difference in air quality, but anything more than 10 seconds in this seat is more like torture.

the747guy
    Participant

@ sparkyflyer –

I agree with you, WE, the passengers must make every effort possible to avoid booking/being booked on a 788 in economy, for BA to “listen” to our complaints and needs of decent space in an economy class cabin. I am a Gold EC member, and am NOT HAPPY with their uncomfortable seat arrangements in Y, specially on long-haul flights, which I use the most on BA.
    Not until WE start making clear to BA that their new 788/789s 9-across seats are BAD, and telling BA clearly that WE DO NOT WANT to fly in such uncomfortable, tight seats, and booking alternative aircrafts instead (or other airlines), then BA will do nothing except to make fun of us Y travelers.
    I have already started avoiding the 788 in Y, and have preferred to fly on the 744s instead (as if it were a great difference in seat comfort in Y), but at least you “feel” more space on board a 744.

And, just to start maximizing my money, I have just started flying on LUFTHANSA recently, in Business, for work reasons – no more Club World – AND this LH long-haul service is a BIG DIFFERENCE compared to BA’s: better overall service, especially seat comfort in C in their new 748s (no Jing-Jang seats), and better food quality/service on board.

It’s time for us, passengers, to take action and not let airlines do whatever they want with us, because as they say “we will tolerate it” – WRONG!

Let’s take action…….. it’s for our benefit.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls