Seat changes by BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

• Irons80
    Participant

A common theme seems to be emerging – it’s the customers choosing seats in the rows immediately behind CE that appear to having their seat changed… it’s interesting to me as I don’t get the appeal of that row. I understand you might be able to get off the plane quicker, but often the curtain hangs down in front of you and it’s otherwise no different to any other row. I much prefer bagging an exit row seat if I can, especially on the A321 or A319s (no such luck on an A320)

JonathanM8
    Participant

On all BA short-haul flights in Europe (not ex-BMI fleet though) the front row of ET, left handside (ie ABC) are configured as per CE, so there is no middle seat. Cheapest way to travel CE!!!

SimonS1
    Participant

KeaneJohn – I presume practicality may come into play here. In other words if two single travellers have booked seats in two different rows the airline may relocate one? After all on a busy flight you may at the same time be forcing a couple to sit separately.

Maybe therefore you were shifted from 5A to 2A on that basis (ie they new you had selected a window seat and there was another single traveller in the aisle).

NTarrant
    Participant

I don’t think that is quite right SimonS1. I have been on a number of flights, particularly domestic where a couple booked together are travelling in say 5B and 6B mainly because the Exec card holders have already bagged the window and aisle seats. I was once asked if I would give up my window seat for a middle by a couple on a MAN-LHR flight which I declined their kind offer!

KeaneJohn
    Participant

I hear what you are saying SimonS1 but I don’t think that was right. Firstly, there were only 3 allocated seats on the flight and only 5 passengers in the whole cabin. Secondly why offer the choice as a Silver Card Holder to preassign my seat then penalise me with a change of seat just to seat someone else together because I am travelling solo..

If the flight was full or the curtain shifted I could perhaps understand but why change my seat so many times on a lightly loaded flight.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Generally, the only real benefit of seat pre section for silver and above in BAEC is getting a seat in upper deck 744 long haul.

Only other benefit is when making a 2 peron booking with a partner with no status so that you can sit together.

Shorthul set selection is really of little value, IMHO.

SimonS1
    Participant

KeaneJohn – if the cabin was half empty then clearly it makes no sense. However if the cabin was full and say 2 Gold card holders were travelling together then I could see why they might take a view and shift you.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

KeaneJohn – 05/12/2012 21:15 GMT : On my recent trip to Prague I had selected 5A, the last row and whilst the curtain never moved I was moved forward to 2A no fewer than 17 times.

Bloody hell. 17 times? On one trip? I think after the first half-dozen times (I am assuming this occurred before you checked in – do you check your seat allocation every day?!) I would have had a bit of a rant down the phone…

I am fortunate enough not to have suffered from an involuntary move for a long time with the exception of one arising from an equipment change – that went horribly wrong, but was a tech problem, which I think we can all forgive!

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Was moved on Air Malta a couple of years back at the gate from seat 1F to 2A on the basis that there was an aircraft configuration change. Seeing that all seats in rows one and two are the same, whether on an A319/A320 I did not buy into this, queried the gate assistant, who could only stutter and my suspicions were confirmed when I saw the CEO of Air Malta being well looked after in 1F. Hardly very customer-centric.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

rjb

I guess you saw Joe at the time?

It must have been the crew that did that one, as he’d normally take the last row, in my experience – nice guy.

Out of interest (and I may be tempting fate) BA have never moved my seat on the hundreds of flights I’ve taken with the company.

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Formerly Dos. Good to see you are well tuned in. Draw some comfort from your remarks re Joe.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls