Seat changes by BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

• Anonymous

Binman62
    Participant

SPOLIER ALERT – RANT AHEAD!

We all know that for operational reasons BA reserve the right to change and alter seats. Fine I can accept that.

Last night I changed my seats from those originally allocated to the front row of ET, something I know can be subject to alteration (all too often in my view due to the every shifting curtain for club.)

As soon as I made the change an email arrived from BA stating that the changes had been made, who made them and what they were….. All Great.

This morning, less than 10 hours later, the seats have changed again this time by BA automatically or by intervention I do not know.

I don’t know because when BA or their staffs makes changes you do not get notified, no email – nothing. You are expected to be omnipotent or psychic…..possibly both.

I just do not understand why when I make the changes I get an email but when BA makes the changes nothing. In ET it may not be the end of the world but this also happens in Club world…..upper deck to lower deck to accommodate staff friends, relatives or VVIPs who have the ear and access to special services. These changes may be understandable and acceptable to some – but not me – but above all I think it is just plain rude not to tell you passengers what you have done, why and when. It is simply shoddy customer service in my view and frankly a little sisnister that BA and their staffs can apparently do what it likes to my booking and seats reservations whiclst I am kept in the dark…

Rant over now back to work.

Have a great day everyone

Irons80
    Participant

Astonishing. I have been Gold for 2 years and Silver for 3 years prior to that and a seat change has never happened to me except once. You are one seriously unlucky flier.

lloydah
    Participant

I sympathise Binman as it happened to me on my last flight. Went out CE but returned in ET. Chose seats well in advance, outward fine but the return was changed twice as the curtain swung this way and that. I too understand that it will do this to accommodate fewer or more CE pax. but if I hadn’t happened to have checked the seat plan before I left I would have had no idea. Agree that if an auto message can be generated for a change by me it should also be done for their changes.

sleak76
    Participant

I’m with Irons80 on this one. Gold for 8 years and solver for 2 and maybe just twice did I get moved. I DO accept it mostly because airlines are running a business after all and adjustments need to be made from time to time.

One thing the car rental companies have never adopted, yet, is telling you the license plate number of the car you have reserved. They do that, unlike airlines today, so that they can avoid having to deal with customers should a car change be necessary for inventory reasons.

As a result, instead of getting upset at a seat change, lets just be happy that we have reached a stage today that airlines are making seat maps visible to us in the first place.

lloydah
    Participant

@sleak76
    lets just be happy that we have reached a stage today that airlines are making seat maps visible to us in the first place.

I think that’s a way of sitting back and letting them do anything they want without question. If they provide the service then they should do it properly not just when it suits them. As for being grateful for the seat map, we’ll be grateful for being allowed to book with them next.

NTarrant
    Participant

I have had the same problems as Binman on a certain number of flights recently and i’m BA Gold. On a journey this week my colleague and I had 3A and C in CE, but when I checked in we had been changed to 3A and 4A. I was still in 3A but my colleague who’s profile is for an aisle seat was moved to a window seat, but 3C was free!

Also there seems to be a problem with the allocation when booking. I made a booking for my wife and I in CW, her profile is aisle. We wer allocated two middle seats.

Perhaps they just dump you anywhere knowing you are going to change it.

Str8Talking
    Participant

I’ve had a mixed experience on being moved – generally, as a Gold member, I have not been moved that often. Once, after checking in, I received a call at the lounge asking me if I was willing to move to help accommodate a family (fine, no problem). A second time, after online check in, when they decided to replace a short-haul 767 with a long-haul one, they changed my seat, I noticed it early on, but I was then unable to move again. At the airport, I was told that for some reason the system was showing that I was offloaded from the flight! No further explanations given!

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

I frequently (about 1 in 3 BA short haul) have the same experience as Binman62. Not always concerned the ET first row, it also happens on Club Europe bookings too. I agree with Binman62 the most annoying thing is the lack of any notification that they have made a change. So I now regularly look through my current bookings to identify seat changes not made by myself. Sometimes I find the seat I have been moved from is available, so I change the assignment back to the original allocation.

I am BA Exec silver. Most of my flights are short haul, but have had this issue on long haul too.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Around 80 individual CE flights last year.

1A or 1F every time, never moved once.

Never been moved on longhaul, though was once asked to move to accommodate a family, and have moved voluntarily when it’s apparent two people travelling together have been separated, as long as swapped seat is as good as the one I originally allocated.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Meanwhile, back in the real world:

Seat changes do happen with all carriers, BA seem to be worse than any other. QR, LX and EK have never moved me, others have very occasionally, with BA I just sort of expect it.

I agree, not being notified is the most annoying thing.

VintageKrug
    Participant

“Henkel.Trocken – 05/12/2012 14:38 GMT
    Meanwhile, back in the real world:”

I thought this childishness had been put to bed. Please desist.

Irons80
    Participant

Clearly not. Although isn’t it a surprise that a key detractor of BA on this forum has amazingly never been moved by airlines he really likes, but BA is worse than any other?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Should I bother reporting the above snide remark from HT?

I really wonder if it does any good, but I hope the Board in general will censure those who persist in childishness.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

“VintageKrug – 05/12/2012 14:44 GMT

Should I bother reporting the above snide remark from HT?

I really wonder if it does any good, but I hope the Board in general will censure those who persist in childishness.”

Don’t worry Krug, I and many others will continue to ignore you and your posts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls