Sean Doyle letter to British Airways customers

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• TonyR
    Participant

I received the letter after my latest experience of customer services at the Gold level. In three calls I got through to someone very quickly which was a surprise. The first person was very helpful on suggesting creative solutions to a rather unusual ticketing request. Suggested I book my tickets online and call back and they would implement the solution on them for me. Phoned back and got a “computer says no” person.

Contacted customer services about the inconsistency of advice I was receiving fully expecting the standard BA marketing speak explanation of why the customer was wrong. Instead I got an honest personal apology for them getting it wrong and it concluded with them agreeing the non-standard arrangement the first advisor had proposed.

There is for good reason a lot of scepticism above about what the letter means but I have to say my interaction overall was a breath of fresh air in problem resolution compared to what I have become used to over many years. I was therefore encouraged to afterwards receive the letter that suggested this was actually a complete shift in approach rather than getting lucky with a good agent. Time will tell.

3 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1201668]But web check-in was impossible both
    ways and I had to check-in at the airport. Other airlines do manage this much better during covid, so
    there is huge room for improvement.[/quote]

This is a bit “off-topic” as this one is about the BA letter (which I did receive) – however, I have had two sets of BA flights in recent weeks when I was unable to checkin online and I have two sets of flights coming up (all Business Class) where my confirmation says that I cannot checkin online.

I just assumed that it was because I have not been able to get Verifly to work for me, the same as others have reported on this forum.

Ralph
    Participant

I didn’t get the letter either but then I’m only Blue! My gripe for many years, and I have written many times about it, is the ability of BA to consistantly offer either Curry or Pasta choices. If we are travelling on a BRITISH aircraft, and particularly from a BRITISH airport then why do they consistantly provide two choices of meal one from India and the other from Italy? I remember very many years ago travelling on a long haul and having a beautiful Beef and Two Veg dinner and I have to say one of the best in flight meals I have ever experienced. What happened to BA Meals? Many years ago; when Mr Prendergast was in charge of in flight meals they were excellent what happened to those menus? British Aircraft – British Food.

1 user thanked author for this post.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Ralph, in one word – CHEAPER

TonyR
    Participant

I think BA need to really rethink their Exec Club offering. To earn Gold and above you almost certainly have to be travelling in at least Club for most of your flights which means most of the Gold perks – check-in, lounge etc – come with the ticket anyway. The perks I would like – partner Avios long-haul companion ticket or Club on vacation – are virtually impossible to get. Plenty of economy seats but a sensible return in Club or First is virtually non-existant. If you can get a flight outbound at all, the next available return tends to be weeks away.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

I remember BA asking for customer patience well before the pandemic.

BA embraces mediocrity in much of what it does. Occasional moments of inspiration have occured (eg with the Club Suite) etc, but only because it had to and far later than the competition.

Otherwise, BA has been relying on customer patience (re strikes / IT meltdowns / more strikes/ average food / average seats / even more strikes) for years. This letter from Doyle is pure lip service and much more than what he describes will need to be done to make BA premium by global standards.

But I doubt BA wants to to excel. It wants to make money and excelling can be expensive.

4 users thanked author for this post.

cosmoB2012
    Participant

Verifly did work for me, approved all my documents. Same true with BA documents which gave me thumbs up, but still no chance for a web check-in. In Berlin the really friendly check-in person told me “BA´s interface is the worst of all airlines we deal with, so nothing new”, the rather inexperienced check-in staff in Dubai requested a PCR-test for check-in which was not necessary for returning to Germany. After me insisting to call her supervisor she dropped the PCR-test crap but forgot to apologize and was rather snotty than friendly.

lostantipod
    Participant

To be fair, that letter could have been written 15 years ago and it would still be relevant. Thinking back to the ridiculous call centre waits even as a Gold customer; their continued unwillingness to invest in and exploit IT to deliver better service and reduce costs, and the scanadalous birdseed offering in Eurotraveller, just as examples. The innovative lonhgaul J seat went well last it’s use by date, and the recent upgrade was botched. Does BA ever learn?

PHflyer
    Participant

I find it quite astonishing that a company the size and stature of BA, has still not addressed the appalling state of its customer service response times. This has been going on far too long with seemingly no end in sight and I say that despite the words of comfort written in the open letter from from Mr. Doyle (incidentally how was this sent as I have not received). I don’t think BA can blame COVID as other businesses and companies have recovered but to wait in excess of an hour to speak to someone, or to be told to try again later is not good enough. Someone should be held accountable for this mess – it’s not like this is a surprise following the post-lockdown environment people are looking to travel again be it for business or leisure. Lately the website has been playing up again so the whole customer experience has been extremely poor and is severely damaging what is left of their reputation. When they get it right its a wonderful experience but lately is is frankly not good enough. Let’s see the impact of new recruits (why wasn’t this done 12 months ago ??) and a new phone system …..

3 users thanked author for this post.

MrDWebb
    Participant

I am guessing its not going quiet as well as you had hoped Sean. I am currently 3hrs 13 mins into waiting on your Gold Exec line to change a booking which is not listed on my profile….(It was, then I believe you upgraded the website and I lost all my booking)
    Its incredulous that this is happening. A customer facing business that put the customer second.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

They really do need to appoint someone to get a grip of their customer services.
    I’m not sure if they are chronically understaffed or lacking any real hands on leadership from anyone the least bit customer centric at a senior level.

A very small example. On Tuesday morning I got an email update with an adequate resolution to an issue that should have been resolved over a month ago. Excellent, I thanked the person and asked a very minor follow up question. About an hour ago, this sadly typical BA response:

“Unfortunately, I’m unable to help with Executive Club queries. Please log in to your account to view your dedicated number.”

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls