Sean Doyle letter to British Airways customers

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

To our loyal customers,

I’m writing to you directly today in the spirit of transparency, which is the ethos we’re striving to promote at British Airways in 2022 as we emerge from the worst crisis in our 102-year history.

We know that for many months now we’ve been asking you to be patient with us. Patient while we bring multiple aircraft back from airfields around the world. Patient while we rebuild our network, retrain and recruit people to serve you better, and patient while we deal with the thousands of customers that need our help.

To be frank, we’ve been moving from one set of restrictions to another and the amount of change we’ve been dealing with over the past couple of years from week to week has been relentless. I’m not seeking to make excuses for things that should have gone better. What I am doing is making a personal commitment to you that we will build a better British Airways. An airline you can trust and rely on and that offers great customer service, with someone always available to help. Most importantly, an airline that you are proud to fly with – an airline that you are proud is your British flag-carrier. For me, 2022 is the year we’re finally able to rebuild and re-energise our airline. After the recent news from the UK Government around the removal of restrictions, it’s time to get Britain moving again.

My number one priority is to address the customer call centre issues many of you have experienced and may still be experiencing. In the face of constantly changing and complicated travel restrictions the length of time it’s taking us to take calls has naturally been longer, which has pushed up our waiting times. We are mid-way through replacing our phone systems to create a better customer experience and are also already recruiting more people to ensure your calls are answered, social media messages are responded to and problems are solved in the moment, wherever possible.

We’ve been working hard to create a more premium experience for you, putting you at our heart and doing it in a way that’s sustainable. Every aspect of this strategy is to help make your journey more seamless and enjoyable. For example, our operations teams are working on a new baggage tracing system, allowing you to track your bag via your phone throughout your journey. We know you’ve enjoyed the table ordering service we began to offer in our lounges during the pandemic, and so we’re continuing with this initiative. You’ve also told us you appreciate the complimentary water and snacks we’ve been offering on short-haul flights in our Euro Traveller cabin, so we’ll be continuing with these too. In addition, we’re working hard to improve the quality of the meals and choices we serve across all cabins and rolling out our Club Suite on as many aircraft as we can, as quickly as we can.

We know change starts from within. Our teams across the airline have been through a lot, and I am looking at what we need to do to recognise and reward the people we know make a difference to your journey, and ensure they have everything they need to feel empowered to do the right thing by you every single day.

I know that change won’t happen overnight, but this week I have briefed teams across the airline to do all they need to, to tackle the issues we know you’re facing so we don’t let you down. In the meantime, I want to thank you for staying with us. I know your loyalty has been tested and I want to assure you that we don’t ever take it for granted.

I hope that in the coming months you’ll notice a significant move towards a better BA, driven by our people to deliver a better experience for you, our most loyal customers.

All the best,

Sean Doyle
    Chairman and CEO, British Airways

ASK1945
    Participant

When I received this message directly this morning, I was pleased to read:

My number one priority is to address the customer call centre issues”.

Let’s see if the rest of this paragraph is addressed quickly.

1 user thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=1200438]

Yes, indeed, let’s see.

I notice that Sean Doyle / BA said “We are mid-way through replacing our phone systems to create a better customer experience”. I am not impressed by corporate speak like this. What I want to know is, [1] when will it be done, or finished? “mid-way through” might be a long or very long process. [2] Making a “better” experience? Not outstanding, or excellent, or equivalent to our competitors’ systems? “Better” means little. e.g. it could move from poor to average. [3] Why was the experience poor in the first place? Do you not realize how important these systems are?

Anyway Sean, I’m going to measure your progress on results, not on what you say. Thank you.

5 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1200415]Patient while we bring multiple aircraft back from airfields around the world.[/quote]

Are there any stats evidencing how many aircraft are being bought back into service. Whilst restrictions coming into the UK are being lifted, it still remains a BIG challenge to get to most long-haul destinations.

Gold-2K
    Participant

Good to know their IT systems are working. I didn’t get this email. But maybe GGL members are not important enough to BA 🤣😂

2 users thanked author for this post.

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

[postquote quote=1200508]

I don’t think it is as simple as bringing back multiple aircraft from airfields around the world.

They have got rid of their fleet of B747 aircraft. Either sold on or scrapped. Those planes aren’t coming back. Pre-COVID the plan was for the B747 fleet to be phased out over several years with new aircraft replacements phased in over several years. Not all those new aircraft have been built yet. There are a small number of new aircraft which are mostly built, but need some technical issues resolved before they can be handed over from the manufacture. In summary, they don’t have the long haul fleet to be able to operate their 2019 schedules.

For their Gatwick short haul restart they are also short of crew or aircraft. May be both I am not completely sure. Even with the gradual ramping up of the number of destinations and frequencies they plan serve from Gatwick they won’t have the required numbers ready. They have put in place a wet least agreement with Iberia Express. So their short haul fleet has issues to be addressed too.

esselle
    Participant

Many years ago, my Headmaster wrote on my end of term report that my work was “high on intent, low on content”.

Let’s see if Doyle gets the same response.

Personally, the straw that broke the camel’s back (or mine to be more precise) was on a flight back from HKG some years ago in First. The steward informed me that the champagne was not chilled, but he would happily put a couple of ice cubes in my glass to make it a bit colder……………

7 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[postquote quote=1200582]

You will get a special message, I’m sure. Please share when you do !

FormerBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=1200656]

Lucky you,they didn’t ask my wife about ice in her white wine. Meanwhile, I was left a bottle of vodka and a bottle of vermouth to make my own martini!!

Its fair to say there are bigger issues in the world but the lack of standards at BA is frustrating

3 users thanked author for this post.

Stowage222
    Participant

Former BA, this is a really interesting situation you highlight. Doyle has clearly stated that he wants BA to become a ‘world-class’ airline again but with mostly new young crew on poor T&C’s, I do wonder how this will be achieved. Crew are already falling away due to the way rostering is working especially now as they all have to endure mixed flying. Let’s not get too excited initially but it will be interesting to see how this strategy plays out.

So far it’s all talk and good intentions but we all know the reality!

DoorsToManual
    Participant

If you’re so keen to show appreciation for my loyalty…buy better software that means you can at least put my name on the email instead of calling me that well known generic ‘loyal customer’.

Also Sean, please define Premium Experience? What’s the measure…Etihad, Emirates, Qatar or Singapore? I can’t be the only person that thinks, with ALL the will in the world, BA will never match those airlines in delivering a premium experience?

American Airlines has had bag tracking for at least 3 years…but bravo for noticing.

The lord loves a trier so GOOD LUCK Sean. I won’t hold my breath or cancel my bookings with other airlines until people start talking about BA being innovative and exciting and better…plus please stop this one tray nonsense in Business Class…you’re not fooling anyone: It’s a cost cutting exercise.

5 users thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I never received this letter. Is that because I am only silver level? Or because BA’s IT systems are unreliable?

openfly
    Participant

“Replacing, renewing our phone systems”…in India??!?

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1201596]

So, if Cruz, as reported elsewhere on this site, becomes CEO of Air India, BA could maybe subcontract the running of their call centres in India to him………………Let’s hope he kept the hi-viz jacket he wears during a crisis!

cosmoB2012
    Participant

I didn´t receive it neither, I am BA Gold but probably it was sent only to UK customers.
    Ten days ago I flew from Berlin via LHR to Dubai and was positively surprised, superb service,
    the new club suite being really comfortable, excellent food and presentation, table service in
    the lounge. My only complaint would be that BA is not managing the document upload very well. I
    had all documents properly uploaded via Verifly and BA documents going to Dubai and coming back and
    both times got an “all documents correct, you can now check-in”. But web check-in was impossible both
    ways and I had to check-in at the airport. Other airlines do manage this much better during covid, so
    there is huge room for improvement.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls