Schiphol Transit

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• J_Pathmore
    Participant

Hi All – looking for a bit of help here:

I’m travelling from the US to Italy next month and I qualify to enter the EU under one of the exceptions (my mother is a resident there and her parents are citizens so I qualify on both accounts, though primarily through my mother).

By far the best route is via Schiphol, where I’d presumably clear EU passport control unless something has changed due to COVID. Am I correct in assuming that I would enter the EU Schengen zone in AMS and thereafter go through no more checks in Italy? I have traveled to the EU hundreds of times and that is usually the case (similar to the US where if you fly from SYD to LA to NYC nobody checks your passport once you’ve cleared in LA)?

I spoke to the Dutch embassy and they said it shouldn’t be a problem, but they did say all these exceptions to the travel rules make things messy because if you are not an EU citizen/resident there is no checklist of documents to prove you qualify for an exemption … you just have to take as much as possible.

I’m just wondering how Italy (or another EU country for that matter) controls their borders if people already in transit in other EU countries can land at an Italian airport and not go through any more passport checks? Has someone had recent experience / anecdotal experience here?

Perhaps the answer is as simple as “trust” and that there is a common trust and understanding among EU countries, similar to normal times.

Thank you!

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

I travelled to Italy via AMS around 10 days ago. Once in the transit area you need to go to gate B0 (which isn’t a real gate) where you need to complete a medical form and have your temperature checked before you are allowed to travel to Italy.

Be careful with your time. Flights to all Italian destinations are required to pass through and it can take a bit of time!

J_Pathmore
    Participant

@tomwjsimpson thank you. So to confirm, once you arrive in Italy there are no additional checks? You simply walk straight through to baggage claim?

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

Yes, I flew into Milan Malpensa, collected my bags and got onto a train to centrale.

Whilst in Italy they are very rigorous with taking contact details and scanning temperatures.

Be prepared to wear a mask everywhere, all of the time (unless eating or drinking). This is an expectation in addition to 1m social distancing.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls