Scandinavian Airlines Service Drowning

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

Pierre
    Participant

I flew four times recently on SK within Europe.
    They now split their offer in two groups: cattle go & cattle plus.
    The only difference between the cattle go & cattle plus is the awful free ‘meal’ you get if you fly the ‘Plus’. (you have to pay for it in ‘cattle go ‘
    There is a choice of three items: the salad, the veg sandwich or the wrap. I tried each of them, and this morning I had what was called a breakfast. None was tasty. (beware with the sticky sauce in the wrap!)
    I do not expect a high end food on board; after LH sushi size portions, is it the new trend by Star Alliance ?

I am surprised that cutting the quality of the service is supposed to keep the customer happy and loyal, when for the highly priced ticket, he is carried from one point to the other in the same conditions a low cost would do at half or third of the price.
    At least the LC are named, and known as such, and the pax is aware of from the moment he buys the ticket.
    Nothing common with SK: they keep playing the major, when the service is flat and poor for all the pax.
    ‘In the past’ in C, they were keeping the middle seat empty.
    Forgetting the meal, the main advantage flying C is having a bit more space (heavily paid). Nothing like that anymore on board SK! This is out !
    Cattle from the very first row on board not the newest planes.

I had a chat with crews, and they are just disappointed.

When SK launched this service, I thought it would improve a bit. Zero.

Competing with Norwegian and similar will not help them keeping their customers paying C for nothing.

Senator
    Participant

PierreAntoine,

I don’t think SAS is promoting their product SAS Plus as a Business Class product. They have removed the tag-line Business Class for this.

The lowest SAS Plus fares have come down tremendously in price across the board, so should expectations on what is on offer.

Furthermore, keep in mind, that 90% of SAS passengers are flying between Scandinavia (and the Nordics including the Finnish operations) either intra-Scandinavia (65%) or to/from other European destinations (35%). Without a doubt, Norwegian is the main competitor for SAS.

In many ways, SAS has gone the way of Air Lingus. Maintaining a European presence with scaled back product, as well as a small intercontinental operation.

While I agree that SAS Plus on-board food options are not the best, I think you need to look at what value proposition for SAS Plus – it is No Business Class. To compare it to Lufthansa (who’s on-board offer in Business Class leaves a lot to be desired) would also be unfair, in this case to Lufthansa.

Pierre
    Participant

Hi Senator!
    Some years ago, AF downgraded its short/med service keeping anyway a C class. The service is équivalent in Y Premium, the only important advantage in C remaining the empty middle seat.
    If SK does not promote its ‘plus’ as a C service, they also skip mentioning their service turned to a low cost one. In this case, I think it totally unfair towards the pax who does not expect something that low. I do not think my ticket was that cheap, but in the average of what I was paying earlier
    If most passengers fly SK intra Scandinavia, its an airline I fly a number of times a year because of its excellent network in Northern Europe.
    They were offering an excellent C class service, I was lucky to enjoy each time I flew with them.
    As a number of people on this thread I spend a lot of time in planes, and I do not intend sponsoring changes which go against my needs/will a hidden way. Sorry for being bitter, but the price I paid does not match with the service I got

My comparison to LH relates to the food only. The portions on LH turned
    sushi size, it became seldom to have a hot main dish rather a mixed salad.

Within some years, we will have EasyJet/Ryanair merging with Norwegian or similar, and “major” having just copied the LC will face serious issues to remain on the market having put aside their most profitable passengers, frequently loyal.
    Cutting the most profitable group of customers will fill in planes at lower margins and cut profits.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls