Saudi etiquette

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• sleak76
    Participant

Saudi etiquette would be the same as Gulf etiquette, travelwell and many of the above posts covered it well. Here’s a few pointers/recap from a fellow Gulf citizen (i.e. myself):

1. Everything is with the right hand: handshake, right cheek (when cheek kissing), to eat, grab or present anything (food, business card, etc.).

2. Use of Your Excellency is only appropriate the first few times. More often than not, the person will eventually tell you to just use his name. Arabs are social people and, as such, will tend to want the formality of titles to be dropped. If he asks you to call him Abu xxx then use that. That’s what we usually call each other after the first few minutes of the first encounter. Abu means “father of” so Abu Ahmad would be father of Ahmad (the eldest child’s name is always used). Women are the same: if she is comfortable with you, she’ll tell you to just call her by her name or Um Ahmad (Um = mother of Ahmad, her eldest son).

3. Gulf nationals take extreme pride in dressing up, grooming and smelling good. The use of bukhoor (incense) and oud (fragrant wood oil) is widespread. These products are VERY expensive and they are usually used on special encounters. So, if you smell oud, you would score BIG by mentioning how good the smell is and asking if it is oud. No need to be personal and say “You smell good” but rather keep it general by saying “That smell is intriguing and quite fragrant. Is it our?” Showing interest would score big AND is a great conversation starter (as opposed to weather). DONT however say the same to a woman (smelling good), btw.

4. Handshake a man, yes. Women: ONLY if they offer their hands first. If not, then a smile and a hello word will do just fine. And DONT bow. As muslims, we pray 5 times a day and during prayer we do bow, but for God only. A head nod is sufficient.

5. Prayer times: expect a break during prayers. This could take about 10-15 minutes. If they are praying in the same room as you, offer to leave. If they say it is ok to stay then make sure your mobile is on silent mode and, needless to say, dont answer your mobile calls and chat while they pray – it’ll be distracting enough.

6. Expect chats about foreign policies of the country you come from. This is not intended to blast your country but more relates to their interest in how you view your country’s foreign policy and how well-read and educated you are.

7. Conversation starters in case awkawrd silence sets in: besides the talk of bukhoor and oud, Saudis enjoy talking about their country.
    A. King Abdullah University for Science and Technology, the first university in KSA that is mixed gender (only speak of this if the person with you is pro-Western and is happy with the mixing of the genders)
    B.King Abdullah Economic City – Jeddah
    C. Kingdom Tower – Jeddah. Slated to be the tallest building in the world (surpassing Burj Khalifa of Dubai)
    C. King Abdullah Financial District – Riyadh

You can quickly google the above and save onto your laptop and read inflight to have a general knowledge of the above developments and this way you can speak of it should conversations lull. Besides talking about these will show you know something about KSA and that would please them immensely.

Good luck in KSA and with your 15 min of fame.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Thank you sleak, a really fascinating post, and help in polite interaction with this fascinating country and charming people. Now I know why the invitation to talk at the King Abdullah University for Science and Technology was so special!

Ahmad
    Participant

travel well, I have been a regular visitor to Saudi Arabia since 1969 and have interacted with people at all levels.

Sleak76 has given very pertinent and correct advice. I second that and would just like to add the following two bits:-

Your Excellency is usually reserved for an an officer of the rank of Permanent Secretary, Under Secretary or Head of a large State Owned Enterprise/Organization/Authority etc. As everyone has advised, it would be best to address them that way in the beginning and then take it from there. Depending on where the person has been educated (Britain or the US) using the last or first name with HE AND Dr would be appropriate.

Regarding shaking hands, it is the done thing with foreigners. As pointed out, however, with women wait for them to extend their hand. If they don’t, a verbal greeting would be sufficient.

I hope your visit is fruitful and if there are any other particular questions you have, I will be more than happy to answer them for you.

travelwell
    Participant

just to thank everyone for their comments about this topic. the ceremony with the saudi officials went very well. I was able to get a custom made gold plated trophy made in time with a modern design and a personalized inscription. the gift giving went very well and the minister appeared to like his new gold trophy!! it was gold bling but subtle which I think goes down well with the Saudi’s. thanks

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Glad it went well and that we could help Travelwell.

Did you get on TV and did you get kissed? 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls