Satay served without table cloth laid

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• TS-Andy
    Participant

I was recently on a SQ flight from Singapore to Shanghai in the business cabin. They had Satay were served without table cloth laid and followed quite closely with meal proper served with table cloth laid. I was wandering why don’t they have the table cloth laid at the start of serving satay. WAs this their standard practice? I can’t recall.

Ekond222
    Participant

…1st world problems will be their downfall…

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Is this a trick question?

SimonS1
    Participant

Shocking. I would demand your money back.

esselle
    Participant

Did they place the satay on a plate, or straight onto your tray table?

Hermes1964
    Participant

Best you just open your mouth as the trolley goes by and they can pop a morsel in for you. No tablecloth, no fuss, just sheer luxury!

Coldbat
    Participant

The table cloths were all made into a parachute by the pax sitting nearest to extricate themselves from this dismal lack of service asap.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

come on TS-Andy, there has to be more to this thread than a table cloth curiosity… do tell …. 🙂

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Next time, fly BA.

You won’t miss the table cloth and will get a mini Mars bar, instead of the pretentious Satay,

ImissConcorde
    Participant

Yawn!

EU_Flyer
    Participant

It is for weight distribution reasons.

The time at which the satay is served on this sector is when the aircraft is banking right to head to Shanghai. The table cloths are stored in L1/12 storage compartment in the front galley which is pivotal for maintaining the aircraft’s centre of gravity. It is a delicate operation for the crew to safely execute the turn and prepare the satay simultaneously. One stray satay stick and the stability of the aircraft could be compromised.

As a result, the table cloths are kept in position neatly folded in the L1/12 storage compartment to counter the gravitational impact of the satay sticks being placed and then removed from the ovens. Once the plates of satay are distributed, the Captain gives the cabin crew permission to remove the table cloths from the L1/12 storage compartment and the tables are set.

I don’t understand what the fuss is about? I thought this was common knowledge. It’s also why SQ are getting rid of the first A380s. There was a satay storage compartment design flaw in the early versions of the aircraft. They’re a flying time bomb whenever satay is served.

… you’re welcome.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=760085]Yawn!

[/quote]

Which fact is untrue?

TS-Andy
    Participant

[quote quote=760041]Best you just open your mouth as the trolley goes by and they can pop a morsel in for you. No tablecloth, no fuss, just sheer luxury!

[/quote]

[quote quote=760031]Did they place the satay on a plate, or straight onto your tray table?

[/quote]
    It was served on a plate but without a table cloth. I could have asked for one but I only realized much later and it was consistent for all for the seats. Yes no big fuss but just odd. Not a trick question. I just can’t remember was that done consistently in the past.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Disgraceful, it would never happen in Suites.

PerthWA
    Participant

Obviously TS-Andy you’ve never tried to wash satay sauce out of a pure white linen tablecloth… Do try 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls