SAS – finally new long-haul order

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

Senator
    Participant

So, after rumours back and forth, SAS has confirmed an order for eight new A350-900 XWB and four new A330-300 Enhanced. Furthermore, a mix of seven current A330/340 will be completely upgraded with new interiors.

The A350 will be delivered starting 2018
    The A330 Enhanced in 2015
    The refresh to be completed by 2015
    There is an option available for an additional six A350.

Assuming no retirement of the re-furbished A330/A340s before 2025, this is a net addition to the current fleet of 11 SAS configured + 1 leased LAN configured airframes. This would mean a fleet of
    7 A350
    4 A330E
    7 A330/340 “Old”
    Hopefully, this means that SAS can once again be expansive and not only scaling back.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Things went very quiet in reporting on SAS after the “near death” experience earlier this year. Does anyone know exactly what concessions were obtained from staff (including flight deck crew) to keep the carrier flying and how the governments of Sweden, Denmark and Norway reacted to this?

And what of any debt to equity deals by the lending institutions?

Senator
    Participant

AnthonyDunn, the concessions are sorted and depending on country and functional role are different but they broadly include some salary reductions, longer working hours, changes to retirement funding and loss of fringe benefits. The bigger issue now is whether the owners’ guarantees (Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian governments) are implicit or explicit state funding in breech of EU law.

A second big issue in the “near-death” experience was the asset sales of Scandinavian Ground Services and Wideroe. Many of the ground staff is furious as their previous concessions included a guarantee that SAS Group would keep Ground Services in-house. Swissport has “acquired” SAS Ground Service in a multi-step process that will start with a JV and eventually, a full ownership.

CXDiamond
    Participant

While I was delighted to see details of this order from SAS I do have some anxiety about whether they will still be around to see it fulfilled.

I understand they didn’t get a very favourable finance deal and that is because of concerns about their long term viability. I think there are many bridges yet to be crossed to return them to a healthy state of operation.

JohnHarper
    Participant

I’ve wondered this too, are SAS going to be around in the longer term?

Given that they’ve now abandoned their shorthaul C class, I doubt I will fly with them again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls