SAS files for chapter 11 bankruptcy

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

SAS, has has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the US. The airline has been in the news regarding its long standing debts and the current strike action.
    Reports say that they will continue operating.
    One wonders for how long though.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks for posting cwoodward.

Sadly the fortunes of SAS have steadily declined since its heyday under Jan Carlzon in the 1980s.

And the Russian overflying ban has impacted on SAS as it has with Finnair.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Was SAS flying a lot to Asia before the war? I am not that sure, while obviously Finnair was and still is.

cwoodward
    Participant

Back prior Covid in 2019 they were flying to:
    Beijing
    Hong Kong
    Shanghai
    Tokyo
    At one time (about 2015 +/-) they were defiantly flying to Bangkok and Singapore as I have seen there aircraft at these airports. Also Manila which they terminated earlier.

In 1985 it seems that they flew an unbelievable 120 routes on 5 continents -a once great airline now a mere shadow of its former self due to mismanagement and political infighting between the partners.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

In its heyday SAS was innovative and used its nations’ neutrality to secure USSR overflying rights.

Yes I well remember SAS’ CPH-BKK-SIN route. I travelled with this service in the late 1980s. SAS had fifth-freedom rights for BKK-SIN and I used these rights on the return trip which gave me a Bangkok stopover.

In fact SAS had strong connections with Thailand.

The Danes were involved in the Thai dairy industry years ago (not sure about today) and it was SAS which mentored Thai International until the mid-1970s (when Thai became more independent.

Indeed if you ever see a Thai aircraft around that time its livery was almost identical to that of SAS (except for the word “Thai”). It even had the Viking longboat along the fuselage.

Sadly faced with keen price competition SAS withdrew from Bangkok after 63 years of service.

It may have returned during the European winter season (when so many Scandinavians head to SE Asia) but I would have to check.

SAS to axe year-round Bangkok route

cwoodward
    Participant

Correct as usual Alex
    re the the Thai dairy industry. It seems that in 1960 the King Of Denmark gave 20 Holsatein Friesian cows (and presumably a bull or two)to the Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama VIII) and the rest is history.
    Thanks to his foresight and efforts with also his cooperation with the Australia dairy industry in the early days Thailand has a strong dairy sector that also exports around
    Asia

2 users thanked author for this post.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[postquote quote=1221263]

I’ve lived in Manila for the last 20 years, and I don’t ever remember SAS flying here.

cwoodward
    Participant

Chris If you take a look on the internet at SAS history you will see Manila on the route network. Also some images in SAS history sites.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[postquote quote=1222310]

Maybe as a codeshare of KLM.

cwoodward
    Participant

Chris

Below from A SAS routing list document – not code share

Pakistan Karachi
    Jinnah International Airport
    Terminated

Philippines Manila
    Ninoy Aquino International Airport
    Terminated

Poland Gdańsk
    Gdańsk Lech Wałęsa Airport

Katowice
    Katowice International Airport
    Terminated
    Kraków
    Kraków John Paul II International Airport

Łódź
    Łódź Władysław Reymont Airport
    Terminated
    Poznań
    Poznań–Ławica Airport

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Can anyone update me please on the likely status of travel vouchers issued by SAS? I have a voucher for several hundred pounds (flights cancelled during lockdown) – is there any chance it will be honoured?

Many thanks

transtraxman
    Participant

“Losses pile up at SAS, more time needed for Chapter 11,” (01-12-2022, ch-aviation)…….
    expecting it to end in the second half of 2023.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/122015-losses-pile-up-at-sas-more-time-needed-for-chapter-11

1 user thanked author for this post.

Rferguson2
    Participant

Well as we now know AF/KL has come to the rescue of SAS and SAS will be departing STAR alliance for Skyteam.

Really shocked that the only Scandinavian country that will still actually be a shareholder in SAS will be Denmark, with Norway having already rid itself of its SK stock and Sweden to do so soon. I wonder if SAS will still retain their HQ in Sweden given that the country no longer will have a financial stake.

The european consolidation is certainly hotting up…ITA to the LH group, SK to KL/AF. I wonder whether TAP or LOT will be next?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls