SAS – disappearing soon?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

The speculation was correct – an announcement has just been made that negotiations will continue, with no deadline.

G’night all.

Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

There appears to be a new deal with the cabin crew and talks continue. Things may be a bit more optimistic. At least in the short term.

Hope I’m not tempting fate here.

Simon

RoadKing
    Participant

Seems they are going to make it. 6 out 8 unions have accepted the new agreements. Danish cabin union and of the two Norwegian cabin unions are still fighting it.
    The general opinion is that SAS will continue.

For the unions that have signed, and sacrificed; I’m impressed!

DavidGordon10
    Participant

It looks as though they may manage to come to an agreement. I have just flown in to CPH on the Washington flight and the atmosphere at the airport was not negative. Jyllands-Posten has this story

http://epn.dk/brancher/transport/luft/article4913061.ece

which explains the deal with the pilots.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

It seems that the only deal outstanding is with the Danish cabin crew. Let’s hope they see sense. Losing SAS would be very sad, losing it for one cabin crew union would be tragic.

echk067
    Participant

SAS deserves to go under. Terrible service and high prices.

I was in Arhus on Easter weekend going back to the US and missed my originating flight because Europe changes to DST one week after the US (and I didn’t have internet so I didn’t know it) and I didn’t know the clocks changed that night.

They were closed for Easter Sunday and the following Monday. As I booked my ticket through an agent in the US they said they couldn’t help me as I had to tell them my fare code (my itinerary didn’t have the fare code and they said they couldn’t see it. How they couldn’t know my fare code is beyond me). They basically told me to !#@$ off and it was my problem. No one of any seniority was working that weekend or Monday as it was a holiday (If that is the case shut the flights down too..if you can’t provide customer service then don’t fly).

They wanted $1800 one way to return and nothing to be done about it. Pay up or swim. AA got me back via Helsinki on Finnair using milage for $50 with no hassles.

Never again did I set foot on SAS nor would I ever again.

Service like that leads to companies going under.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Echk067

So SAS deserves to go under due to its response to an error that YOU made…..

An interesting perspective.

Simon

SimonS1
    Participant

Reminds me of the old days of Gulf air. A multi-nation operation with all that entails in terms of cultures, politics, logistics etc. In the end countries started setting up their own airlines leaving Bahrain as the sole owner.

I can’t see how SAS is sustainable as it is.

echk067
    Participant

Yes I missed the flight due to DST time changing and not knowing about it. When i got to the airport to talk to them no one cared or was even there working. I understand I bear some responsibility but I flew on them quite often. I wasn’t asking for a free ride back just something resembling customer service. The fact that no managers were on duty for 2 days to help with the situation. So yes…perhaps I deserved to pay $1800 that is my fault ..and they get what they deserve in response. Going under that is their fault.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Dear Bucksnet, thanks for putting the translation in at 08.14, it was lazy of me to omit to do so.

The Danish press is still reporting a failure to agree with the last of the unions (the Danish cabin crew) but there is a general feeling that SAS will survive this crisis. The long term is another question, particularly because the three governments have different priorities for the air service each country needs.

Bucksnet
    Participant

No worries. One way forward might be for SAS to split into 3 national airlines, like what happened with Gulf Air. It should not be too hard with their operational structure and different fleets etc.

JohnHarper
    Participant

I believe it is only SAS Norway that makes money, ironic as they are up against the strongest competition in the form of Norwegian.

I do hope the cabin crew union sees sense and don’t think they can hold out for something different. SAS has a long and proud history and it should not be left to die because of one trade union.

AndyInSweden
    Participant

Agreements have now been reached with 8 of 8 unions.

Pressrelease available on :

http://se.yhp.waymaker.net/sasgroup/release.asp?id=264785

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

That’s excellent news.

I’ve no doubt some hard days lie ahead for the SAS crews who I have always found to be highly professional and I would like to wish them well as they start on a difficult road to getting SAS back to being a strong player in European and world wide travel.

One plea to SAS management, please introduce some competitive short haul C fares – you might find people are willing to buy them who otherwise would buy your cheapest fares as they are not willing to pay c.£650 for a short haul return but they might pay £350 – you then earn £200 over your cheapest fare that you would not have got otherwise.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls