SAS – disappearing soon?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello SimonRowberry

Thanks for the feedback. Yes it seems that SK is not offering value for money these days.

What a contrast to the mid-1980s when SAS was in its prime under the leadership of Jan Carlzon.

As for Wideroe, it will survive. It’s profitable and SAS had been seeking a buyer. Flybe was showing interest.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticle/10529024

One concern must be the future of the CPH hub without SAS.

The Danish travel market is limited in scope so will foreign long-haul carriers like AC and SIA continue to serve CPH if there’s no alliance partner available to carry their passengers on to the other Nordic area countries ?

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Latest news: plan to travel tomorrow unless you hear otherwise…

Or is that actually “stating the bleeding obvious”?

To be fair, the SAS Press Officer is saying that any changes will be posted on the SK website. Just had a look and there is no reference to the crisis whatsoever. More worryingly, there is no “news” section on the site, under which to post any breaking facts…

Aftenposten now seems to be focussing on how many various groups of people, and how large these groups are, can be seen through the window of the negotiation building….really cutting-edge journalism this is!

LondonCity – couldn’t agree more. Thinking back, I also wonder whether it was a good move to have sold Air Baltic after all.

Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Things seem to be moving now. A spokesperson from the European Association of Insurers (or something like that – my Norwegian is rusty) reminds passengers that most policies have a clause excluding cover in the event of strike, labour dispute or bankruptcy. How very bloody helpful!

Also, advice that if you are daft enough (or have no choice) to buy a SK ticket, use a credit card.

Simon

RoadKing
    Participant

The management has stated in public they do not accept alternate proposals from unions. Earlier mgt has stated this is it, take it or leave it.

Supposedly, the board is negotiating with the banks now…

My bet is, they are discussing the start up of the successor. Sad, but I think there is no other way.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Now a major reminder on the site that we are 100 minutes away from the deadline for a deal.

Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

SAS’ Information Chief now saying that passengers holding tickets for tomorrow’s flights don’t need to stay up to midnight to see whether they will be operating:

“Flyene går. Vi forholder oss til at flyene går og at vi gjennomfører planen. Det er det vi forholder oss til. “

“The flights (will) go. We intend that the flights will go and we will lead through our plans. That is what we hold ourselves to.”

OK, then that’s OK then. Isn’t it? Yeah, right…

Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Rumour has it that the banks are giving SAS until tomorrow morning.

Perhaps that’s how they could be so certain about the early flights operating as usual….

Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Ho hum. It now seems that there will be a straight ultimatum to the employees (pilots and cabin crew):

“Say “yes” to the deal or we go bankrupt.”

This is just a rumour at the moment.

Simon

RoadKing
    Participant

Rumour, but I think it is true, and should have been stated 10 years ago.

RoadKing
    Participant

Civil aviation authority of Norway may pull SAS’ license to operate flights in Norway as of tomorrow irrespective of the outcome of the negotiations.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Road King – that’ll result in the end game not being necessary, if that happens.

Two quotes on the Aftenposten website:

“SAS is like a hen that can fly – but not too high and not for too long.”

“Crew have sat furthest forward in the cabin and not seen what is happening on the other side of the curtain. Now it’s too late.”

Simon

Edited to correct my own crap translation.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

They’ve now suspended the 06.00 and 06.15 flights from Kastrup.

Crew have received another offer from management.

And my earlier translation should have read “THEY have sat…” NOT “CREW have sat….”

Still no update on the SAS website – just a piece on the Media page saying that the meeting would happen this evening. Nothing anywhere about the suspension of the first two flights tomorrow from CPH.

Crew unions at Kastrup saying the ball is back in their hands and it is good that they have something back from management, and that they “are talking again.”

Simon

Bucksnet
    Participant

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Now saying that they expect negotiations to continue at 23.59 tonight. One minute to midnight in every sense, I guess….

Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Thanks, Bucksnet – it’s quicker than my Norwegian translation.

And more accurate…..

Pilots have now been invited to a further round of talks, after the first two sets of proposals failed.

Speculation that SAS will “stop the clock” at 23.59 if they feel that talks will give a positive result if continued through the night.

Simon

Edited several times for updates.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls